Withdrawal Syndrome

Yes, I'm high.
But not on coke or marijuana or heroin.
I'm high on all these black lettered words,
Sprawled generously on the papers and boards.

Yes, I hallucinate.
But not the type in which you lose your head.
I see Harry Potter, Alice and Scarlett O'Hara
dueling the Red Queen on the fields of Tara.

Yes, I'm addicted.
But I don't drink, snort or smoke.
I inhale these stories through my brown irises
And pour them into my brain where intoxication flourishes.

And when my verbal drugs exhaust...

A blissful withdrawal syndrome engulfs me;
Feet off the ground,
I start traveling my life
On a train of thoughts.

Athena19This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 6:01 pm:
Wow you summed it up perfectly!!!! I love to read too, and I rarely don't have a book in my hand, so I can relate completely!!! I love the imagery! Gone with the wind is one of my favorites too :)

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 1 at 5:29 am:
AugustSummerFling! I'm absolutely in love with this poem of yours! Truly cause I can so relate. I also love the way you expressed this.... my favourite part was "I inhale these stories through my brown irises" I mean I loved it all but somehow this line made me relate SO much. I think the ending should've been stronger, if you know what I mean....but still...you know soon as I read the firstt line it took me in. The second stanza is my favourite ...Have you had dreams??..I drea... (more »)

AugustSummerFlingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 5 at 9:25 am :
Hi saphira :) thanks again for the detailed feedback :) I wanted the ending to be light indicating that even though I'm not reading or writing, I think about new things to write and scrutinize the world through writer's perspective ( 'traveling on a train of thoughts' ) maybe when compared to the rest of the poem, it feels a bit vague. Ill try writing an alternate ending if I could think of one :) thanks for liking the poem :)

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 5 at 11:30 am :
Don't! I mean if that's how you meant it for to be then that's how it should be! I love this. And you're welcome. Love, Saphira... P.S. call me Dua. That's my name.

May 7 at 12:14 am :
hey Dua :) nice name :) 

May 7 at 1:19 pm :
Thanks! I like yours too... I'd already found out yours.. well.. thanks to TeenInk..I hope didn't mind...anyway I thought it only fair that you knew mine :D