I am...

I am Broken and Insecure.
I wonder why I am so ugly.
I hear my “friends” talk about me behind my back.
I see the pretty girls and wish I looked like them.
I want to fit in.
I am broken and insecure.

I pretend I’m happy when I want to cry.
I feel stares of eyes darting at me because I don’t belong.
I touch my stomach and wish I was skinnier,
I worry people will judge me before they know me.
I cry constantly because I know things will never change.
I am broken and insecure,

I understand I will never be as pretty as the other girls.
I say “I’m fine” even though it’s a lie.
I dream of being beautiful.
I try to keep a smile on my face.
I hope someday my smile will be real.
I am broken and insecure.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 6:08 pm:
I like the simplicity of it. And the raw emotions in it. I think many readers will relate to this poem. So sad. 

Metal4LifeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 23 at 12:55 pm:
i see you had used repition to drive home the point you wanted to get across! This poem was written with very powerful emotion and pain. I completly  sympathize with it all...I live a similar way... thats why I write :) its the one thing that people cant judge about me...its nice. Great job! Write on my talented friend!

JodiCogburnThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 20 at 11:20 am:
I really like this poem!!! XD It's AMAZING! I wish I could write something THIS GOOD, but oh well. Anyways...the title of your poem is "I am" but the only times you actually say those two words is with broken and insecure. So maybe you can change the title to "I am broken and insecure"? Because you're not saying I am the WHOLE time.

Someone2knowThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 14 at 11:04 am:
Thank you so much!:)

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 9 at 6:48 pm:
Hey there! I see that you used an 'I Am' poem set-up. I think that you used good descriptive words and you put a lot of emotion in this. I feel all of the pain and needs in this poem. Repetition can be over-used, but I think that the line that gets repeated is a good one to be repeated. It NEEDED to be, in my opinion. This is very powerful. I know all of these feelings all too well. And I have gotten over them to be a happier, healthier, better me. And I hope if this poem is true that yo... (more »)