My Boston This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

My city is not a virgin one.
We have seen the redcoats' bayonets,
the shackles of the slave trade, the gore of civil war,
brother slashing brother.

But never have we seen a bomb.

My city has seen hurricanes.
We have been whipped by blizzards, and licked by waves of heat,
My people have even been assaulted by molasses waves.

But never have we felt the wrath of a coward.

Until now. Somebody, somewhere has decided to hurt my city.
My weathered, stoic, city
that works hard and skips r's
and has done nothing wrong.

My city dresses children's wounds
and screams to the heavens, "Why?" We hold loved ones close,
too aware that life is fragile.
But slowly life resumes again.

For never can we let terror win out.

candlelightwriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 8 at 11:43 pm
Holy cupcakes, I nearly cried. This is so, so, so beautiful and realistic and lovely and sad and heart-wrenching and wow. Just wow. Keep writing. There are so many emotions interwoven here. This speaks volumes for the aftermath of that event. This is a piece of history trapped in the confines of this poem. Speechless. I am speechless. Wonderful poem. 

mereCatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:07 am
I LOVE this; so powerful and thoughtful! I love the reflection of the last three lines and the way that you compare the scale of the damage "Somebody, somewhere" caused - as if the somebody is a lethal war machine - with the fragility of life, and then the positive stength of the city drawn together by the attack. (Sorry, that might sound a bit wierd, I couldn't quite find the right words for what I was trying to say.

Superhero_FanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow. I've never been to Boston, but you just described it wonderfully to me! I don't see a whole lot of poems with history embedded into the words, but this one accomplished it. Good job! ^_^