The Piano

My fingers glide off
Each smooth
And lonesome key.
The bare and exposed walls
Glare down on me.

I can feel the flying notes,
Heavy,
Then light.
Almost tasting bittersweet
In this moonlit night.

Scent of coarse wood
And ivory
Fill the somber room.
The piano vibrates
As echoes bloom.

The tempo slows
To deathly tones
The wooden instrument
Softly groans.

The cries of each key
Can tell
Sorrowful tales.
The music page
Leads the way,
A map to unknown trails.

Drapes waltz to the harmony,
Driven by the wind.
Sunshine peeks through
The open windows;
Night is almost at end.

I continue to play;
These particular notes
May
Make you smile.
Mournful music leaves behind
A tune I’ve known for a while.

Chirping birds fly on
The still,
Stone windowsill.
They’re songs matching,
They’re goal is to fulfill.

Like the notes
Around the room,
Let the rhythm
Sway you.
It’s really quite amazing
What a piano
Can do.

Midnight5765This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 4 at 11:23 pm:
Agreed, Piano player unite (a.k.a beginners piano for me). I enjoy reading poetry about instruments, they deserve it anyway. I tried to write a little about the piano in "Unwritten". Very vell, poetic, musical and inspiring!

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:24 pm:
Piano players unite!! I took lessons for 7 years until i couldnt anymore and man do i miss it! I love the dark to light you captured here and it truly shows the range of a piano. amazing :) keep rockin han

Soccer23 said...
May 13, 2013 at 4:59 pm:
I absoluty love it. being a piano player myself i can relate to it extremly well. It is able to paint a picture in your head.

Hanban12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 13, 2013 at 6:21 pm :
Thanks soooo mcuh! :)

iAmandaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 5, 2013 at 1:27 am:
I love this poem. I can really connect to it, since I play piano. I like how you made your lines short and sweet. You just said a couple words, but I could image it all in my mind.

Chichot123 said...
May 4, 2013 at 4:58 am:
Simply amazing, a lot of great images and rhymes :)

readaholicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 3, 2013 at 11:33 am:
I really love the rhyming you use, its very cool.  I play piano, and this is a great desciption of that experience :)

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 2, 2013 at 5:11 pm:
I love playing the piano. So obviously I love this poem. It's music to my ears. Music and poetry are pretty much the same thing. And the piano is the best instrument. Hands down!! ^u^

swat17 said...
This piece is beautifully written! It flows perfectly and the imagery is wonderful. Awesome job! 5/5 for sure

May 1, 2013 at 4:46 pm :
Thanks so much! Means a lot!

dragonsandthree said...
Wow! This is really good. It flow amazingly, it's visual, and emotion bleeds through perfectly.

FallenoutofgraceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
pure music its the same exact feeling of gliding your hands over the major and minor keys giving  asong and your own taste your words glided together in a work of art in its self

livebeautifulx3 said...
Your rhyming is so good! This poem accurately represents how playing the piano feels like; it's beautiful :)

Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:18 pm :
Thank u so much! I really appreciate ur feedback :P

Alex_Writer replied...
May 4, 2013 at 9:30 pm :
I remember this poem!  Loved it from the start.  You used ryhming in the poem extremely well and kept me reading.  Your absolutly great at bring images and pictures to the reader's mind.  Flying notes!  Lonesome Pianos!  The Sunishine Peeking Through The Windows!  Keep up the great work, I just know you'll be a professional writer one day :)

May 5, 2013 at 4:53 pm :
Aww thx Alex! :) means a lot, and I'm sure you'll be a famous author one day too