Poem for Adana | Teen Ink

Poem for Adana

By migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present." --Marcus Aurelius

wake up now; I’ve been
waiting for you
eagerly
for your rough brown skin
your sweet-smelling hair
I’ve been waiting all winter to taste
your soft breath
cold and clean and laden
with new things
for a long time now I’ve stretched
myself patiently against you
and thought I felt you,
sleeping, stir
beneath me—
I’ve tried to wake you myself
with hot palms
and stories of sunlight,
tried to melt your grey-white peace
because I remember you
your berry blood
the salty green tides of your sighs
the way you shift gently
and your softened, sun-warm body
scratches mine
slowly
as you reach for yourself in all your life again
and become new for me
as every morning
I am new for you.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

"dipressing"? What am I in the 3rd grade? Depressing.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

No way!!!! You're into Beat poetry. My latest poetic obsession is Beat poetry. Allen Ginsberg, mainly. But it all started when I Wikipedia-ed Jack Kerouac and read some of his poetry. (Now, I'm gonna read On the Road; but I have to finish reading Gone Girl and The Casual Vacancy—which I'm almost done with.) I haven't read much of Corsot; but I will now. But, ahhhh, I'm in love with Beat poetry. Just finished reading two anthologies on Beat poetry. Stephen Crane, I know his poetry tends to be dipressing because one of my Englsh teachers said his poetry was too "pessimistic" and that she didn't really recommend his works due to a "glamorization of the futility of the human life." So close minded, no? That instantly made me want to read his work. (Anytime someone says a work isn't reccomendable, not because the work sucks but for some personal idea or whatnot, then it's usually worth reading. Like all banned books; they're banned for some reason. Worth checking out. Or at least that's how I see it.) But I will definitely read more Stephen Crane for now on. Thanks for revealing your inspirations. I can't believe we're into the same kind of poetry. Sorry for this long comment; might be a little too tedious. Oh well. :)

migwam ELITE said...
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

Thank you for the comment, though. It seems that all my poems related to nature and the natural world are, like, lesbian odes to Mother Earth. I have maybe twelve variations on this poem. She's just such a sexy lady, haha

migwam ELITE said...
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

Ohhh, man. Let me think. I read a lot of Beat poetry- Allen Ginsberg, Gregory Corso, Kerouac, etc.. I really dig Stephen Crane, too. I think he's where I get all the futility you're seeing. If you haven't read much of him, dooo it. But my main inspiration is just my life, and how my life itself is influenced. The people who have changed me, and the experiences I've had that teach me how to see the world and myself. Etcetera etcetera. Haha :)

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Exquisite last lines. I can't explain my love for this poem. The details, the emotion. It's beyond me. Who is or are your poetic inspiration(s)? I must know.