Poem for Adana

wake up now; I’ve been
waiting for you
eagerly
for your rough brown skin
your sweet-smelling hair
I’ve been waiting all winter to taste
your soft breath
cold and clean and laden
with new things
for a long time now I’ve stretched
myself patiently against you
and thought I felt you,
sleeping, stir
beneath me—
I’ve tried to wake you myself
with hot palms
and stories of sunlight,
tried to melt your grey-white peace
because I remember you
your berry blood
the salty green tides of your sighs
the way you shift gently
and your softened, sun-warm body
scratches mine
slowly
as you reach for yourself in all your life again
and become new for me
as every morning
I am new for you.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Exquisite last lines. I can't explain my love for this poem. The details, the emotion. It's beyond me. Who is or are your poetic inspiration(s)? I must know. 

MyApocalypticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Ohhh, man. Let me think. I read a lot of Beat poetry- Allen Ginsberg, Gregory Corso, Kerouac, etc.. I really dig Stephen Crane, too. I think he's where I get all the futility you're seeing. If you haven't read much of him, dooo it. But my main inspiration is just my life, and how my life itself is influenced. The people who have changed me, and the experiences I've had that teach me how to see the world and myself. Etcetera etcetera. Haha :)

Thank you for the comment, though. It seems that all my poems related to nature and the natural world are, like, lesbian odes to Mother Earth. I have maybe twelve variations on this poem. She's just such a sexy lady, haha

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
No way!!!! You're into Beat poetry. My latest poetic obsession is Beat poetry. Allen Ginsberg, mainly. But it all started when I Wikipedia-ed Jack Kerouac and read some of his poetry. (Now, I'm gonna read On the Road; but I have to finish reading Gone Girl and The Casual Vacancy—which I'm almost done with.) I haven't read much of Corsot; but I will now. But, ahhhh, I'm in love with Beat poetry. Just finished reading two anthologies on Beat poetry. Stephen Crane, I know ... (more »)

"dipressing"? What am I in the 3rd grade? Depressing.