Words | Teen Ink

Words

By Dunes SILVER, Leander, Texas
Dunes SILVER, Leander, Texas

"A room without books is like a body without soul." -Marcus Tullius Cicero

My calling
is not,
has never been,
and never will be;
to dance,
to sing,
to judge,
to play.
Never.

My way
has been
with words.
I speak,
I cry,
I rejoice,
I rage
through my words.

They've always
been there;
through love,
through comfort,
through sickness
and health,
through sadness,
through anger,
through pride,
and loss.

If these
words
have been with
me
for so long,
then
why?

Why
doesn't
this fear
and doubt
go
away?

Why can't
I solve
this
uneasiness?
With a
word
or
two
or
three?

"Once upon a time, a long time ago, I had a friend. We weren't close and as the years went by, we lost touch. Days ago, his mom died. Does that give me the right to mourn for her? If the last time I saw her was years ago, should I grieve?"

wordtea GOLD said...
on Feb. 14 2014 at 4:59 am
wordtea GOLD, Delhi, Other

'All men shall die.'- A Clash of Kings
'We accept the love we think we deserve.'- The Perks of Being a Wallflower
'Sometimes people are beautiful. Not in looks. Not in what they say. Just in what they are.'- The Book Thief

This poem is very relatable. I can't sing, dance, draw, and I'm not good at sports either. But words are something I've always felt close to. I really like this.

TopHatCactus BRONZE, League City, Texas

When writing a novel a writer should create living people; people not characters. A character is a caricature.
Ernest Hemingway

Hey fellow Texan! I like your poem, I had a similar situation with a friend (more like aquantence). Her dad died from a cancer and she missed many days of school. We made her cards and I would ask her if she was doing okay, of course the answer was yes (even though I knew it wasn't). I never knew him, but I guess if you knew someone even for the smallest amount of time and now they are no more, you can greive. It isn't that you are given a right to grieve, it's not like you have to ask to grieve for another. It's more like the way this person impacted your life. You can grieve if you want or not, no one is stopping you.   Anyway this was a great poem, I'm glad I read it!