Shouldn't | Teen Ink

Shouldn't

By MissTarbet GOLD, Petersburg, Texas
MissTarbet GOLD, Petersburg, Texas

Today you are you that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is you-er than you.
-Dr. Seuss

It shouldn’t be so cold in April. At least, not in the south where April means warm rains and spring weather starts in March. No one should be wearing scarves or mittens. There shouldn’t be snow on the ground or ice on the road. It shouldn’t be so cold in April.
It shouldn’t be so easy to turn the heater on and have eyelids slipping shut. At least, not in a car when the roads are slick and it’s below freezing outside. No one should be dozing off while driving or struggling to stay awake. There shouldn’t be a need for extreme caution. It shouldn’t be so easy to sleep.
It shouldn’t take half a second to lose control. At least, not in this situation where losing control means chaos and pain that never fades. No one should be left to deal with the aftermath. There shouldn’t be sirens wailing or people crying. It shouldn’t take half a second.
It shouldn’t be so hard to deal with. At least, not when there’s nothing that could have prevented it and that’s commonly known. No one should blame anyone for what’s happened. There shouldn’t be a set of matching emotional scars for everyone involved. It shouldn’t be so hard.
It shouldn’t be this warm so soon. At least, not after everything that’s happened and everyone that’s stuck wondering. No one should be trying to continue their life as if nothing occurred. There shouldn’t be fresh flowers in place of a tombstone or burnt grass on the side of the road. It shouldn’t be this warm so soon.