Listless Sea of Life

Fish with sequined
skin and onyx eyes
fixed on nothing
in particular
swim aimlessly
and indifferently
through meandering
lifeless water.

Lifeless? Lifeless. Lifeless?
Or was it
full of life
but listless?

MyApocalypticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is a grand poem. So full of whimsy, That last little ponderance... "Lifeless? Lifeless. Lifeless? Or was it full of life but listless?"   Oh my god, it's awesome. I've always seen fish as perfect little vessels of wonder. They don't really have a point, so they're never distracted by work or relationships or anything. They must see SO MUCH, those listless little fish, and have all the time in the ocean to appreciate it. But to us people, with all our pur... (more »)

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I'm so happy right now. You literally made my day into a bright happy day, although it's about to pour like Niagra Falls here. Thank you for the comment and for your interpretation. XD

TheEpic95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I dont know why, but the last part made me giggle. Your right though! And its a very astute observation. I always thought of water as "teeming with life", but i also always saw the sea, full of sleepy fish and slow, huge sharks and whales, as being a quite and listless place, when its not storming (when it is, i would call it violent, not full of life.) You did a spectacular job! And, dispite my giggles, i really did enjoy it all, eslpecially that last part!

Thank you. I love that you found some playfulness to this poem. Anytime I can make someone smile, to me, it's more than I can ask and wish for.