sleeping in

In the supermarket
a woman pushes a cart
half-full of dry cereal and Kraft mac-and-cheese.
Her hair is dyed brown,
haphazardly coiffed,
lipstick tasteful and dried-out.
Her body is getting thicker,
her jewelry is plastic.
She is thinking about a triangular piece of red white and blue
folded in her shaking hands
on a hot July morning;
her baby boy is sleeping in again.
She’s worried she won’t be able to wake him today.
Calmly she lifts a jug of cranberry juice from the shelf and into her cart-
her hand is very careful
very still-
there is a two-for-one sale,
so she repeats the motion
and continues down the aisle
as the guns are raised in salute
and his bed sinks out of view
with handfuls of soil to keep him warm.
The refrigerators hum
and watch her
as she gently places a carton of
one dozen Grade-A farm-laid snow-white eggs
next to the juice
and turns her cart on its side, a great
CRASH resounding-
the eggs spill their yellow and white
apologies, the boxes and cartons
spread themselves and their contents
across shocked tiles.
Cranberry juice runs like blood through it all
and she throws herself down on the mess.
Yolk sticks in her
chestnut brown number one-hundred-seventeen
chemical coloured bob
and a terrible howl tears out of her,
waking the dust on stacked cans.
The sun is warming the flower arrangements;
they wilt slightly
as the last words are spoken
and muttered sentiments shuffle into their respective vehicles
and pull out
drive home
to grateful sighs and shared hugs, handshakes,
“not-my-baby”s
“not-my-family”s.
She leaves eventually, too,
back to her empty life
and lies curled in a fetal position
in the middle of a refrigerated supermarket aisle
tearing her dry hair out,
crying her dry heart out,
cranberry stains on her dress and egg white on her stockings.
She’s so tired;
she never gets to sleep in
like he does.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 17 at 1:36 pm:
Wow. What an ending! You're something amazing. I can't wait someday, as I'm older, reading silently a hardcover book, perhaps thick, maybe thin, with your poetry filling its white or cream-colored pages. And maybe I'll day to myself, smiling because I'll somehow remember after all those years: "She got published. I always knew she would be someday. She was always one of the best. "

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 17 at 1:38 pm :
"She always remained one of the best of our time." I love you work. You're an inspiration to me everyday. :)

MyApocalypticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 19 at 12:35 pm :
;u; Thank you. Truly. I'm not entirely sure I deserve this compliment, but it honestly made my day. I hope I can live up to that vision. If I do, man, you get a free book. Kay? :)

Apr. 22 at 3:22 pm :
I give recognition where it deserves to be. And of course you'll live up to that expectation; I wouln't be surprised if you surpassed it. And yes you can send me a free copy of your book, 1st edition—and signed. Must be. :)

Apr. 22 at 6:14 pm :
Dude, you better watch out. You're gonna give me an ego or something. Haha xD

yesterday at 2:21 pm :
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? haha. Just as long as you remeber the little, as myself, it's alright. 

yesterday at 6:18 pm :
It's an awful thing! Haha, I AM the little people! Dude, I'm just a silly teenaged girl spending most of my time holed up in a dark little cabin in cold, cold Alaska, writing and painting and rolling in the mud. If I get an ego, my creativity would sour and whither into nothingness ;_;

today at 2:41 pm :
Okay. I just had to slap myself in the face a couple of times. I thought you were from Arizona. I saw AK and thought, Oh, Arizona. I'm stupid. I gotta go back to 1st grade. And to think I'm about to graduate. :/ I'm pretty much the same way too. Spend most of time reading and writing, wondering what Tomorrow will bring. The Great Unknown. Kinda sad now that of think about it. Don't think I'm some cooped-up antisocial weirdo. I give you this: the ego does drain the originality... (more »)

TheYellowAardvarkThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 9 at 6:42 pm:
I love your work so much. You really are something. Thanks for this one. 

Apr. 10 at 7:14 pm :
Thank you so much :)