Times New Roman Tragedy

I met you at the bookstore
You were flipping through pages
Encompassed in a jumble of words
All mashed together in Times New Roman font

Your blue eyes were warm and kind
And it was kindness that I so needed
I saw the words spill from your lips
As you said “hello” in Times New Roman font

Your warm smile matched your scratchy tweed jacket
That always reminded me of the 19th Century, more or less
Its individual threads worn but tidy
Like the unwavering lines of Times New Roman font

I read your story cover to cover
It spanned through journeys forgotten by time
From snow-capped mountains to roaring rivers
Line by line you trekked in Times New Roman font

You comforted me when I felt wretched
When I wished I could crumble and burst
Become the dusty, intangible words I stood for
Etched into me in Times New Roman Font

I picked you up in the bookstore
And I listened as you told me your tale
But you were only a character, not even real
Your paper heart beating in Times New Roman Font

And worse, you died, in the midst of your story
Not even at the end; a disgrace, really
And I cried in the bookstore between your dusty pages
As you uttered your final words in Times New Roman font

JulePearl said...
Wow! Love this poem! It has a totally unique story behind it. I love how you brought out the "New Times Roman" idea throughout. It's like a constant, sad reminder that the character fell in love with a fictional character. Good work! 

AthenaMarisaDeterminedbyFateThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you so much! This is really about my own attachment to a fictional character who dies, because I'm just sentimental that way.

JulePearl replied...
Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:57 am
Haha, I get so sad, like unrealistically sad, about fictional character deaths too!! I probably like this poem so much cause I can totally relate to it.

I'm glad someone can :)

IMSteelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This was awesome! It reads almost like a Shel Silverstien poem, except that it's not comedic, :). Keep writing!

Thanks so much! Do you have any more chapters of the Adventures of the Waved Albatross up?

IMSteelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
That depends on how many you've read. I currently have six chapters up, and if you haven't read them, then yes, I have posted some more. Thank you so much for offering to read them, I'll be sure to read any stories you post, just let me know.

Yes, and thank you so much for offering to read them, I'll be sure read any stories you post, just let me know. PS. Please excuse the errors in the next chapters of the Voyages of the Waved Albatross, the draft they came from is very old, and so they are not "up to date," so to speak. Thanks again!

Whoops, I posted twice; I thought it hadn't posted my last one.

I haven't been keeping up much with teenink recently (as of my discovery of fanfiction *sheepish look*) but the Waved Albatross was one of my favorite stories on the site, so I'm going to try and keep up with that one while I'm on break.

That's the coolest thing anyone's ever said to me. Thank you! I don't really keep up with Teen Ink much either, but I'll definitely keep up with your work. You really have talent.

Feb. 12 at 10:24 pm
You should add more to Waved Albatross! I really love it, and now I'm dying to know what happens next!

nelehjr said...
Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:35 am
*Aplauds poetry by snapping* Wow. This is a brand new concept. I like it. There aren't many people willing to confese they fell in love with a fictional character in a book (movies completly different ;) ) Brave, my freind. Brave. I love this. The emotion in the words. Wonderful. Great job.

Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:50 am
Thanks! I think there are a lot of people who feel like this... namely people who do a whole lot of reading :)

RoyalCorona said...
This is a masterpiece!! This is such a good poem, it's so amazing!! I love this so much, I am going to add it to my favorites, I have read it already four times. It was so heartbreakingly sad because I know how that feels, to feel like a character is real and it is such a tragedy when they die. Nostalgia is right now tickling my stomach and my typing is horrid, I have to keep on backspacing to spell everything right!! Thank you so much for writing this!

Wow, thank you so much!

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is BRILLIANT! Oh I love this so much (I think this might be one of my favorites of yours).  I loved everything about it! The flow and the wording were wonderful! 5 stars! :D

May 19, 2013 at 9:42 am
Thank you! 

Cassie-Warren said...
Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:28 am
this is beautiful, just paste the link even though but i just finished reading it :)  

Liquid_SkiesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is a very true encounter for a lot of people. I love how mych thought is put into the poem and how much emotion it evokes from the reader! Good job!