Higher Powers This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

If you pressurize sand enough
You soon get something you can see through
Something we call glass.
We use it to encase
Anything of the soluble matter.

With emitters that drive
Like thorns to a rabbits side
Where the underside is left bare
The needle presses through
To inject pain killing toxins
That kill everything between me and you.

Like the societal mesh of opinions and options
That seems to wrap in the patterns of metal
Encasing forgotten memos and broken pencils,
Encasing plastic cages broken by monster hands,
So empty it to the world,
Pour back what is drowned out
And raise from the hells
The heavens you held.

In one breath a thousand words can be said
One life and a story is written
But that story will not be told or read to others
Just another forgotten memo
In a societal trashcan
In the office of a higher power
Energy just encasing and breaking
Back to the raw materials you came from.

DawnieRae said...
I love how you make your poems seem to rhythm even when they're not. So cool!!

GraphicWriter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oh thank you!(: I seem to feel the pattern, or almost beat when I write, I think it's because I love music so much

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow. This was really powerful. You were pessimistic without being overly defeatist, and I liked the touch of ambiguity you used throughout. You are right, the poem does seem to have a mind of its own—but that is good! Keep up the awesome writing!

Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:52 am
I have a bad habit of being pessimistic, but it's not exactly easy to not be.. I mean, everyone wants to see the good in the world, but our teachers (some, not all), teach with biased opinions and we hear all these bad things and politics that happen all over the world, and we sometimes forget about the good. We get judged and we close up and then it just gets hard to remember the reasons for all of it.. 

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:40 am
No, I totally agree. And I definitely think there is a place for pessimism is writing (for example, this poem :P). Negativity makes a point, so I think you used it well.