I'm Not A Poet When I Speak.

When I say, “I like your face,” what I really mean is “I can’t tell if your eyes are green or brown or hazel. I’ve noticed how your eyelashes flutter continuously when you speak and how you have a small dimple in each cheek. You look down and do this half-smile when you hear something silly, and I think that half-smile is wonderful.”

When I say, “That’s interesting,” what I really mean is “I’ve never thought about it that way before. Your speaking voice has a very distinct tone, and at times I wish I could sit next to you and listen to you talk forever. Your mind seems like a beautiful place to be, and I’d like to be in it more, if that’s all right with you.”

When I say, “Hello,” what I really mean is “Oh, thank goodness I’ve found you. I was having the worst day until you appeared, but now things are looking up. According to the weather report it’s supposed to rain, but all I see is sunshine.”

When I say, “Goodbye,” what I really mean is “I hope to see you soon. If not, if this happens to be the last time we meet, please know that I think you’re talented and fascinating, even if the rest of the world doesn’t agree.”

When I say, “I miss you,” what I really mean is “I miss you.”