Legacy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My aunt calls my grandpa
Atticus Finch.
The greatest respect
she could hope to pay him.
Just like the rapist
who painted a fence.
The defenseless, defended
for a fresh coat of paint
Built his
Legacy.

My mom calls my grandma
if time permits.
Grandma told Mom
She didn't need college.
Mom left home without
Grandma or her money.
A lost daughter who slowly
crept back to her arms
Built her
Legacy.

My family calls upon me
to build my own future.
But I cannot build it.
I have no tools,
no hammer and nails.
I gave them to everyone
living around me.
So that they could
Build my
Legacy.

Annyssa H. said...
That was very well written. :) 

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love the ending but at the same time I feel in between about it. Yes, the people that are around shape our futures. They have a big part in it. But, simultaneously, we, the individual, have a biggerpart in shaping our own futures. Regardless, this is merely my opinion. By this, I'm not saying your poem isn't good. It is good. Beyond that. I love the allusion to Atticus Finch. One of my favorite literary figures ever.  Congrats on ... (more »)

Christopher T. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:48 am
Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad you like it. To clarify, I think you are right about individuals having a great power to build their own futures. But I think ultimately, the way we treat other people will define how they remember us, which is our legacy. That was what I was trying to convey.