O Soldier! My Soldier!

O Soldier! My Soldier! Your battle is done
You fought long and hard, and what has become?
You were always there for me
Even when you were far away
You were my comfort, and my shelter
You were my rock, my everything
Now I just feel your passion,
And I hear your wisdom
You’re long gone, but never forgotten.

O Soldier! My Soldier! Be proud of me
I’ve done so much to live up to your legacy
I feel your smile every day
I know others feel the same way
You touch the lives of so many people
And they shall be internally thankful
It’s hard to think that you are gone,
But your pain and suffering is done.

My Soldier doesn’t answer me
But I know he is there
He fought long and hard,
But his battle is done
A flag was place properly by your side
And gun shots were heard for miles
Now I fill your shoes,
With your spirit
Because I know My Soldier fought long and hard
But his battle is done.

Deej6595 said...
This is a really nice poem. I am sure your dad would be proud. I love how you took Walt Whitman's poem and wrote about your own "captain" that is a really great concept and a very meaningful poem. I know others will be able to revel in these feelings as well.

Sparkle1popsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is really nice! I like how you wrote it for your dad, the only thing I would change is how you keep rpeating "your battle is done" it gets kind of repetitive. 

sadesdd said...
Sorry to hear about your father, but your inspiration you get from him that turned into this poem is truly amazing. This poem conveys all your feelings about him and is really was worth reading.

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:53 am
This is beautiful. And your soldier would be proud. And for what they're worth: My sympathies and concern. Best Wishes.

Crunchman99 said...
I really like it. I can tell it comes from your heart, and that's how it should be. I look forward to reading more of your work; keep writing, my friend.

WriterHeadThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this poem was really nice. i wish all the best for you and your family.

bookwormishgirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I thought this was a great poem. You can really feel the emotion and the respect you have for your father. Really well done. And congrats on being featured in the weekly newsletter! :)  

TheSkyOwesMeRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:16 am
Great poem! Although the flow is not as good as Walt Whitman's poem...but I can't even come close to that. :P Excellent work!

CowboysAndAngels replied...
That was great. I honestly have never read O Captain! My Captain, but I know your poem was amazing. It's great that you ca find inspiration from your loss, and turn it to that. Good Job!