Need To Be Me | Teen Ink

Need To Be Me

By HopeIsWhatWeCrave GOLD, Rowlett, Texas
HopeIsWhatWeCrave GOLD, Rowlett, Texas

[Frodo] How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on... when in your heart you begin to understand... there is no going back? There are some things that time cannot mend... some hurts that go too deep... that have taken hold.

_________________

[Pippin] I didn't think it would end this way.
[Gandalf] End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path... One that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass... And then you see it.
[Pippin] What? Gandalf?... See what?
[Gandalf] White shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
[Pippin] Well, that isn't so bad.
[Gandalf] No... No it isn't.

_________________

[Frodo] I can't do this Sam.
[Sam] I know. By rights we shouldn't even be here, but we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo, the ones that mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end, because how could the end by happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even the darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories had plenty of chances of turning back only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding onto something.
[Frodo] What were they holding onto, Sam?
[Sam] That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for

I'm so tired of
Normal
Bored with just
Existence
I need to be
Something

I need to be different

I'm so tired of
Normal
But I'm afraid to be
Weird
Bored being
Sane
Yet can't stand being
Odd
I need to be
Something

I need to be different

How can I be
Weird
If I'm too scared to
Change
How can I be
Insane
If I don't step off the
Edge
I need to be
Something

I need to be different

I'm scared to be
Normal
I'm scared to be
Weird
I'm chained with
Sanity
But I put it on
Myself
Why is it so
Different
Just to be
Me
I need to be
Something

I need to be me.

This poem was inspired by my 'quest', if you will, for insanity. Society shows us this picture of what normal should look like. What WE should look like. And we tend to think they're right. We're afraid to be laughed at. Afraid to just be ourselves. But after a while, some of us get bored with normal... Really, I wish more of us did.