Tea and Coffee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

You asked if
I took sugar with my tea,
and I told you no.
It tastes too sweet,
too full,
too much.
Why can't tea
just be tea?
A splash of milk,
a tea bag and hot water.
Scalding water: I want
it to burn my throat
as it travels down,
down,
down.

You burn me.
Although the wound
will one day heal,
it leaves a scar.
I drop things when
I'm near you,
like my hot water tea
with no sugar.
I've no sugar left for you
no words,
no smiles,
no love.
You make me feel
so bitter
and lost.

I asked if
you wanted milk in your coffee.
But you like it
black
like your heart,
and bitter
like mine.
The kettle boils;
we stand in silence,
waiting,
watching steam rise.
Then a flurry
of pouring and stirring,
the clink of teaspoons
in your tea-less state.

ChelseaMe said...
Nice work, I like how it builds from the mundane to making connections to emotions. Well done!

RarelyJadedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:54 am
Really good:) were you thirsty when you wrote this?

XweienX said...
Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:44 am
I like how your poem gradually increases in emotions as I read on. This poem requires a little bit of thinking, which makes it even more fun too read. Great job!

Sparkle1popsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:46 am
Extra super duperly love it! It is so cool how you used drinks as a metaphor for you own life. I feel like this poem leaves alot to be deciphered by the reader. I really like those types of poems! 

3dancer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is amazing! The descriptions and everything is really good. It almost seems like it's a metaphor for somthing. I like it. =)

musixgirl19 said...
This is really good. I like the comparison between you and the guy with drinks. It was really cute. :)

Rolledthestone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
First of all, cool pic. Second, ur poem. I think it was unique, I've always liked sugar and milk in everything 9even herbal tea) but that's just how I grew up. But yeah, nice, liked the way you emphasized the differences between you and the guy by using the two very different drinks. Definately interesting.

ChobaniLuvinPenguin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow! So creative, so powerful! I love it! Great comparisons and metaphors throughout! I especially love the line "But you like it/black/like your heart,/and bitter/like mine." It's funny what you can do with tea and coffee! :)