What is life?

In an autumn leaf descending to the earth
Like a lazy parachute landing,
I can see
A thousand little memories, etched imperfectly
Like overcrowded freckles in a smiling face, and
A thousand shades of every color, but grey and yellow
Most profound. And as it’s falling
Like a dying, man just clinging on to life
On a bench in a crowded park
Filled with shocked, disbelieving faces trying
To hold back his departing life and
Funnily, even the most skilled rugby player cannot catch it.
His straining wrinkles like the shriveled leaf
Artfully shaped by that clever one
Reveals in its folds a million unique experiences
Reveries, hopes and memoirs all of which
Will be gone as the leaf softly lands,
But new green leaves shall sprout, new hope shall reign,
Because, even when a fresh year ends too soon, but inevitably,
There will follow another happy, new year. And another.
And another. That-
Is life.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 1:44 pm:
The imagery you incorporated in this poem appealed to all of my senses. It felt alive. And the message too was not lost beneath all that vivid imagery. Well done.

redhairCatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 23 at 6:13 pm:
The imagery was good - I like the theme of th poem and how you described it. :)

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 16 at 1:03 pm:
  I love how you wound the picture of the falling leave into what you were really trying to say here. This poem holds a lot of meaning, especially at the end. Keep writing! You have a lot of talent. :)

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 13 at 1:27 pm:
The image formed in my head was so Alive...like your poem is so full of imagery that I actually felt like it's all  there in front of me...And the way you relate life to death..that is amazing...your poetry is so well carried through ...all your peoms that I've read so far are very original and beautiful...

theloverofbooksThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 12 at 7:22 pm:
This poem is beautiful! I love the simile of a dying leaf to a dying man, and I can easily envision the spotted colors of an autumn leaf. Your writing is so poignant, and I love the comparisons you use. Plus, the ending is so thought-provoking. I like it a lot.

RarelyJadedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 7 at 11:01 pm:
Wow this was truly beautiful. You are very talented, and I commend you on the originality but also the skill and how you wrote it. I loved this! :)

EPluribusUnumThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 15 at 10:30 pm:
Reading this poem is like watching a leaf blow gently to and frow in the breeze. It swings back and forth through the air of colors and metaphores and finally toutches the ground of your main idea, the greatest metaphore of all, life. Beautiful :)