If Fear had a Voice

If fear had a voice
I don't think it'd be loud
And if I had a choice
I listen to the sound
Of dry words spilling out
To waft with a cold breeze
But there is a nagging doubt
That I'd not escape the freeze

'Cause who has ever lived say
That they have heard him speak
And is there really any way
To escape the icy peak
That we all feel inside ourselves
When fear is whispering
And who am I to try to delve
Into such mysteries

Still,
If I could speak to fear
I can promise that I would
Just to finally have him hear
That in the end he could
Not stop a few from racing on
And ignoring his sharp hiss
Although his bow is always drawn
With some of us, he'll miss

Rolledthestone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 12:32 pm:
Thought the last line was superb. Keep writing. You're a talented poet.

WrenArrington said...
Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:16 am:
I think the only criticism I have is that in the second line, "it'd" just doesn't sound right. It's too abrupt a sound for the middle of a line. That being said, the title really drew me in; it's one of those that makes you certain the poem it represents will be good before you even click on it. There was a nice build up to the ending, which was brilliant and fresh, totally your own idea instead of the cliches some resort to to wrap up a poem.

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:52 am :
I appreciate the feedback. :) And I agree, "it'd" does seem a bit unnatural, doesn't it? That will definitely be something I take a second look at.

bookmouseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Makes me imagine fear like Cupid or Eros with the line describing a drawn bow. Interesting way to personify fear.

TheCapturedBatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:56 pm:
Brilliant! I like the your suggestion that the voice of fear is not loud. The way you characterized fear really rings true for me.

Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:31 pm :
Thanks so much! I am glad you could relate. :)