I Am Not This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I am not a poet

Sometimes, I sit down to write
But this is rare
And never really results in much
Because I'm not good at planning

More often it just hits me
And I feel like I will drown
Or dry up in the scorching desert
That is the shower
Where I shampoo my hair

I am not a poet
Because I fully finish washing
Before switching off the tap
And running for a pencil

Actually
I don't even run
And I put some clothes on first

I don't write because I know some lofty truth
Or have seen a deeper side of life
That others can't imagine
Nor do I think
That what I say will make much difference

I am not a poet

I don't go to coffee shops to think
Coffee is too bitter
And expensive
And smooth jazz freaks me out
But not as much as the people who make a habit of listening to it

I don't sit on park benches either
I've never even been able
To keep a tidy notebook

Who has time for that?

I am not a poet
And I think that it is better
To sometimes mutter things
With no intention of ever writing them down
And just enjoy the moment

Deliberation has never worked for me
I'm young, so not much really does yet
But I am not a poet
And I don't have to be profound

Poetry is one of the only places
Where I can go
And just
Be

Who cares about the hand behind the pen?
In words
No one stops to think
About the mouth that whispered them

Take away the rules and suddenly
Those words go flying out
With blinding speed they dive
Their cages long forgotten

I write because I have to
There is chaos everywhere
And everyone in their own way
Has to find a way to love it
Poetry is this for me
But I am not a poet

rachelmuschettThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
yesterday at 9:46 pm:
I think this is very relatable to every single young writer on this site, even myself. I love your descriptions on things. Simple, yet captures a lot of feelings. Thanks for sharing! Definitely a 5/5

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 5:18 pm :
Thanks for reading! I'm so glad you could relate. :)

RolledthestoneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 24 at 9:28 am:
Just wonderful. Sorry for responding late to my forum. But yeah, you are to a poet. Everyone just have different ways of writing.

AnansesemThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 21 at 3:06 pm:
I like your tone--somewhere between matter of fact and content. I know how this is. I feel the same way: poetry is just something I do. Actually, the word I use instead is "writer". Q: "What do you do?" A: "I write."

Matthew17 said...
Feb. 17 at 12:24 pm:
I really liked this poem! I think that it is very relate able to everyone on this site. I wrote a poem about a similar subject (it hasn't been published yet) but yours makes me very jealous. Great ideas

Feb. 17 at 6:52 pm :
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for when your poem is posted. :)

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 17 at 11:58 am:
Many thanks to both of you! I am so glad you could relate to this!

Maggie99This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 17 at 11:27 am:
That was wonderful! I agree.

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 17 at 10:44 am:
Again Awesome..you know "awesome" is my fav word....This one was real special...I could completely relate...I'm exactly like you in all of those things but the neat notebook thing..hahah....so I guess I'm not a poet either.....Well, truth be told,.. You're an amazing one... I loved checking out  your work :D

Feb. 16 at 1:30 pm:
  Haha thanks to both of you!

RarelyJadedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 15 at 8:37 pm:
This was really awesome and interesting, and very well written (even though you're not a poet:) )

mrsmusicforlifeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 15 at 5:40 pm:
Very unique! Love it!