To Know Her Name

How could He allow this?
This hatred, this pain,
The constant desire to destroy

Love the enemy that I cannot see?
But I feel her.
The effects of her,
Her influence on the world,
Innocent people being forced to express her,
To except defeat,
How can I love her?

Complete suffering.
Poisoning you in order to save you,
Watching you die is killing me.
How can He allow this?

Children under her grasp,
Venomous blood in their veins,
The very thing they should have been proud of,
Killed them,
How can He allow this?

I would shake my fist at her if I knew where she was hiding,
Lurking, waiting to ambush.
I know her strengths.
She knows our weaknesses.
We know not how to destroy her,
Or even fight back.
How can I love her?

Her very name causes fear, tears.
People gather together to beg for release,
To cry together,
To share the burden,
To accept the unacceptable,
How can He allow this?
How can I love her?

Cancer.

TevyRaeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 9:26 pm:
Wow guys! :D Thanks for all the positive comments and for reading!! 

lynlivesforhim said...
Apr. 22 at 1:11 am:
This is really good! The emotion is very real and very strong. You keep the reader engaged and curious until you reveal the ending. I love how you personify cancer and make the reader feel so much even if they haven't had to experience that in their own lives.

Elisa39This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 20 at 9:37 pm:
This is a really deep and emotional poem. I can almost feel the same things by reading it. Great job!

swat17This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 19 at 11:40 pm:
This is amazing! The emotion is strong and I love how it keeps the reader in suspense about what you're describing until the end. 5 star material!

KatielinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 19 at 10:17 pm:
I love you pathos. Keep the emotion in your pieces. ;)

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 19 at 9:53 pm:
first of all, i'm so sorry for your pain and for your friend. if you want i will pray for y'all and i hope you find peace. ...your poem was really good! it's so personal and emotional, and i loved the raw beauty of it. I like your rhythm, your word choice, and how you personified Cancer! very creative!!!! 5 stars :) :)

TevyRaeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 20 at 9:47 pm :
Thank you so much for your prayers. This poem was written several months ago, and since then both of my friend's fathers have gone through kemo and all cancer is gone. there is no way to tell whether it will come back or not, but for now they are both doing just fine.  thank you for the compliments and feedback on my poem. it means a lot to me.  God Bless!