Cobweb in the Corner This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I was born in a valley next to a river
that runs through a city built on the conviction
that oh, yes, I am captain of my soul
and I am indelible so long as I stand up

I walked through the trees and breathed
in the waterfall
I wandered in the moss and pretended the raven spoke to me instead of the mountains

I left tracks in the sand that were lost in
the sigh of the waves
I looked into a tide pool and told myself I too was a ripple over the glassy eye of a fish

The underside of the market fountain was
a secret grotto
just as the man two booths down was a fairy in disguise
The sound of the city carried the lone
guitarist's strums
They sang the way they did every Saturday
and I wasn't yet too small inside to dance

But, you see, I don't sing so strong anymore
It's been a long time since I really ran
I'm forgetting how to build a castle out of
a cardboard box
and what I have left is my walking shoes
and my pen

There's no use dwelling on what's only
half within reach
Someday my past could be my future
But for now I'll just spin a quiet cobweb
in the corner
and frame my thoughts in dust and
gossamer alone

Alex_MacThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I loved how I could could relate to this. It's beautiful, but it also has a sort of melancholy feel to it. Amazing job!

Riley_ said...
Wow, this is really great!  It might even be one of my favorite pieces I've read on this website!  I love the feelings you convey through your phrases.  Fantastic job!

Anansesem This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aw, thanks guys! That made my day! :D @StarlitSunrise: well, no, it's not my very first poem, just the first i put on here. But thank you!

Maggie99 said...
Nice imagery! I can really relate to what you convey here. Growing up is bittersweet. :)

Aw, thanks guys! This made my day! @Starlit: well, no, not my very first poem, just the first I put on here.  

rustyemotions This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oh how wonderful it was to have that childhood adventure running through your veins. I like your poem. Continue writing, who knows maybe you will be able to coax the child inside of you out of its hiding place with poetry.

thatunknownthingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
what an amazing piece of writing with antastic comparisns and goof flow. I am though, still trying work out the full depth of your poem! ;LOVE it 5/5!

mrsmusicforlifeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is absolutly flawless. I really loved it! Keep writing!(:

RarelyJadedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really enjoyed this:). Your metaphors were beautiful!

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow. If this is truly your first poem, then you are an absolutely amazing writer. You get at a child's perspective very well and were able to convey a lot of emotion. But the thing I really love about this poem is that you used it to say more than just "being a kid's great". My favorite line had to be "Someday my past could be my future". Please keep writing! You have a lot of talent. :)

IMYILYA said...
It's an amazing poem. It puts images in my head because of the way you describe them. Great transitions as well.

so_joy said...
Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:17 am
Very good! I enjoyed this. Please read, rate, and comment on my poems! It would mean a lot :) Thanks!

InsaneRob said...
Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:13 am
Ur work really seems to be professional....well done :)