One Thing Left This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Essence burst from my heart
When our arms met in embrace.
Why was it torn apart?
These memories seem to fade.
These tears won’t bring back time.
The symbolic sign of your presence left my soul tonight.
Can’t find the time when it’s all alright.
This picture’s painted with the blood of your life.

It festers deep inside.
Engulfed by timeless lies of light.
Wander the blinding blight.
In search of ties that just don’t bind.

I’ll find the parasite.
Who brought your blue eyes their demise.
And they think that I’ll be fine?
When you grew cold, that’s when I died.

So I’ll send prayers upstairs to the
One who holds you so close now.
Dear God, please never let her go.

The wheel stopped turning now.
Vitality ran from your corpse.
Stained the stone with burning sounds.
Etched on the edge of my remorse.

How can I live today?
Losing you left a hole in my veins.
I cannot mask the pain.
When the spark died, I couldn't regain.

I will bleed my mind to remember purer days.
When you and I would go and talk hours away.
The sunlight danced through your golden hair.
But now that you’re gone, I’m left in disrepair.
Clouds dot the skies to hide the light,
And raindrops entrench my sorrow tonight.

Your love once filled the void,
But now it’s quenched with frost.
Made cracks within my heart,
And left me feeling lost.

I know you won’t return.
But I know that you won’t burn.
You’re heading towards the bliss now,
So I need not be concerned.

I must accept that this is true,
So there’s one thing left to do.

They say “move on”, but is it that so simple now?
You were my life, and now you’re gone. How could I just carry on?
Sometimes scars seem too deep to fade.
Sometimes I cry because you won’t be here with me.

I remember how your skin felt, so soft.
I recall your kisses, laced so lucid.
They’ll last forever.
I’ll feel them forever.
And now you’re an angel.
Your wings have never been clearer.

Passionate and strong, I’ll never let you go.
Time has shown its side, through the scorch and through the snow.
In my dreams, you’re still around.
And all your love, it still resounds.
There’s no more screams and no more tears.
Just you and me, through the rest of the years.
And although you may not be right here,
I’m holding you close in my heart, so dear.

waterbendercarorainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 10:52 pm:
very deep but also amazing. this has inspired me a lot more but also has great emotions :) 

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 20 at 11:48 pm:
This is so cute and beautiful and awesome!!! Keep it up! I love it......and btw I love how you write about God, not that it was a central part of this piece but even being casual about it is really inspiring. I liked the I imagery and emotion in this piece!! XD

Ali101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 19 at 1:53 am:
WOW this is fantastic! I love it

Kaylaa_Nicole_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 18 at 8:55 pm:
This was so heart felt and deep. I loved it. Truly amazing piece

Hanban12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 14 at 9:30 pm:
Awww u portray emotions soooo well!! I envy ur effortless knack of metaphors, and ur such a great writer!! Its simply beautiful; nothing more I can say. Love the gripping emotion and subtle rhymes. Well done my friend!

SleepingDragon58This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 2 at 7:11 pm:
The best piece I have ever read!!

StarGazer9This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 16 at 9:35 pm:
My gosh how good can you get? ;) Beautiful work.

readaholicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 6 at 8:23 pm:
Beautiful poem.  I love the varying length of stanzas and the semi-rhyming, gives it an amazing mood.  Really awesome :)

JRayeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 5 at 3:06 pm:
This is so beautifully written, such strong vocabulay, such raw emotions. Do not stop writting, this is just amazing 

Sunny225LuvsWorld_HugsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 4 at 10:16 am:
i can feel your pain.....

CTS207This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 8 at 9:43 pm:
Very good, intense emotion, terrific volcabulary; very long, and a bit confusing. But still certaintly worthy of a good rating.

XizzioThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 8 at 9:36 pm:
This piece left me breathless. 5/5 stars!!!

baileyanneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 6 at 11:13 am:
That wa amazing! I really like how I could tell your emotions and feelings so easily! Great job! :)

EnnaGirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 4 at 7:18 pm:
This was just so amazing and beautiful!!!!!

WhiteSwan13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 19 at 7:34 pm:
Beautiful!

roserainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 5 at 6:12 pm:
Absolutely lovely! Kept me captivated from start to finish. Perfect flow; great word choice and imagery. Congrats on the Editor's Choice! :)

705toofdaPThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 3 at 4:44 pm:
Ahhh Trace that was incredible!! The emotions and the sadness and the wording and WOW I'm inchoherent now. Absolutely beautiful, one of my fsvorites! :)

WORDYThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 3 at 4:42 pm:
Tears actually fell when i read that and it takes alot to make me cry. This was a beatiful poem about love and loss. I would read more by you.

chinaaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
wow...that was amazing..*sniff* im sorry im a cryer..  

HarryPotterLover30This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I'm like crying right now... Amazing, heartbreaking, touching, deep... It's totally amazing. Your descriptions are so vivd and lively, and I feel so empathetic. Where did this sorrowful beauty come from? What tragedy have you faced, Trace, to compose this poem where i can literally see into your heart? *Claps* Need I say more?