Like a River Wild and Laconic Lake This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I trail by the river—
A ribbon of free spirit,
Conceived by the wind;
It does as it pleases.

I stop by the lake—
A parabola of breathless water,
Motionless and transfixed
Till the surge arrive.

I am a lake
Numb and brimmed with Love;
I will drown myself
In the reflecting bowl—
Until I am hungover,
And the aftertaste of heartache begins,
I will flee like a river
From the source.

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 30 at 8:48 pm:
Okay Mckay, I am officially determined to read ALL of your work because every time i read something, it is better than the last thing i read, and you are just so good. I feel like your work is what writing should be like. Metaphoric and poetic and just so full of maning and emotion. A lot of people write about depression and stuff and they use the word depression. When you write a sad piece of literature and stuff, i dont need you t tell me its sad because your work always speaks for its self. O... (more »)

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 1 at 1:27 pm :
WOW!!! I can't believe that. Oh, you've made my day. I'm ecstatic—I can barely contain myself with the joy you've given me. Thank you—those words aren't enough I'm afraid to express the gratitude I fee right now. You made my day more than I could've hoped for—let alone expect. I though this poem would go unnoticed. But you've seen some worth in it. Thanks. Keep rocking! Always!

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 1 at 9:19 pm :
No problem, and please, for my sake, bever think that your poetry will go unnoticed because frankly i will always be willing to read your work. When I joined teen Ink, i was kinda skepticle of the people on here. Everyone seemed to write about death and depression: so many cutting stories!!!! But I am glad that I have some form of a friend on here, even if it is virtual. I have learned recently that not everyone cuts themselves ;) yeah, so great job!

May 2 at 2:25 pm :
Same here. Although I will say that is how I started writing poetry. I was depressed for the longest time. And just started writing about all that stored up emotion. Then, as I kept on writing, I decided to write about other things rather than sadness. And I'm not so depressed as I was five or so years ago. Writing has been my therapy. And I'm happy other people love it. I don't really share my work with the people I personally know because they don't really appreciate the art of... (more »)

May 2 at 7:01 pm :
I agree, I mean, I didn't really get into writing until this year actually. I also hate it when anyone I know really well (my close friends and family) read my work because they ask questions and they like it, but i don't think that they really see it. Last summer (2012) I was staying at my grandmothers house, and she had onne of those magnet boards with all the words that she used to write happy poems everyday and put them on her fridge (she had cancer at the time), so she kept the magn... (more »)

May 5 at 7:58 pm :
I hope your grandmother is okay. And I wish you so much luck at your new school. It's rough changing schools. Buy you'll make lots of friends. You're very cool form what I can tell. And yes, poems gloriffying cutting aren't beautiful. They're only beautiful when they convey the hoplesness of being helpless. And poetry will continue to be my therapy, not that I'm cray-cray or anything like that

May 6 at 9:50 am :
She's fine, thanks for asking :) And yeah, i think i'll survive my new school :) Oh! And do you have anyhing new, not that I have finished your previous work......... don't worry, one day i wil read it all!!!!! :) keeo rockin!

today at 1:56 pm :
Oh good good good. I do hope—I know you'll do fine at your new school. And yes, I have plenty of new work.