In Humble Defiance | Teen Ink

In Humble Defiance MAG

By the_sparrow SILVER, Chicago, Illinois
the_sparrow SILVER, Chicago, Illinois

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

You tell me
Speak more simply
Let the words land clear and

graceless
On the page.
You tell me
Write directly
Give you logic and let Beauty
f
a

l

l

To second place.
You tell me
Think more clearly
Don't get caught up in the
feeeeeeeeeeeel
But in the flow.
But how I could find flow
Where there's no
------PULL------
I'm sure
I do not know.

--in response to the demands of some of my college professors. This poem expresses the desire for more artistic expression, and I hope that's apparent from the style in which it is written.

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

HA! I love e.e. cummings, too. Excellent job!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Very e.e. cummings. I love the style. I want to experiment with it now. Of course, I won't be half as good as this. Great flow and wording and emotion. Hope things get better! Good luck!

the_sparrow SILVER, Chicago, Illinois

I'm glad you appreciated that! I was wondering how it would go over. I wrote this out of frustration with my college professors; they really have a problem with adding any sort of embellishment or diction--they want everything in simple, straight-forward language. And that's hard for me, because my passion lies with Creative Writing. But I can see how the subject is a little vague, if you have no background info.

PaigeStreet PLATINUM, Juneau, Alaska

"Stay golden"
- Johnny (The Outsiders, S. E. Hinton)

Hah! What a great experiment in e. e. style. The falling fall and the graceless land were my favorite. The subject is sort of abstract, but the artifact of the poem is brilliant.