A Toast

This is for the dreamers of the day, and the kids who don’t sleep at night
It’s for the punks with their hair dyed and their parents who don’t understand their need for freedom.
This is for the teachers, the great ones, the horrible ones, the ones who make us skip class and hide in the bathroom we hate them so much, and the ones who teach us things school never could.
And this is for the kids who have notebooks full of plans to run away and who are standing at the end of their driveway with their backpacks.
This is for the ones to take that first step past their front door.
This is for the ones who turn around and go back
It’s also for the teenagers who sit there in the hallway feeling more alone than anyone else in the world, watching people walk by never knowing that those people feel just as alone as they do.
This is for the books, and the movies, and the music that keeps them alive when life looks darkest.
This is for the tears on your friend’s cheek that finally got her to call you up at 5 in the morning where she hadn’t slept all night, so it’s also for the secrets she told you while you were still half asleep.
This is for the parents who only want the best for their kids so they keep them cooped up in their little nest they call home, not knowing that all they’re doing is pushing their child farther away by taking away their freedom.
This is for the smokers and the drinkers and the quiet sober moments in their lives.
This is for the most sober people you will ever meet and all their hours and hours of studying and hard work.
This is for the readers, who escape their lives through the words of a stranger.
And this is for you.
This is for every hour you’ve pushed and fought through, and for every minute you enjoyed living.
This is for you my darling, the best and worst times of your life.

sabrinaZThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Thank you - you have no idea how that made me feel. I read the first line and started crying

PadoodalleeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is Beautiful

OldYoungOneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
it's meaning is powerful and meaningful to the teens of the nations. Very Nice Job. Could you comment and rate my work as well.. I'm trying to do this professionally some day. Thanks :)

escapegoat said...
Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:39 am:
This is also for you. This is for making a  biography of me . really nice poem

nelehjrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I enjoyed every minute of reading your poem but I got confused at this part: "This is for the tears on your friend’s cheek that finally got her to call you up at 5 in the morning where she hadn’t slept all night, so it’s also for the secrets she told you while you were still half asleep."