Just Like You This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Feet dangle inches above
Tantalizingly taunting …
They strive to graze the bicycle’s pedals,
Just as my hands strive to emerge
From the lemon yellow dress
You handed down to me.
My slow growth is too far behind
Your quick judgment,
Constantly comparing a hazy reflection
To that black and white photograph
You have framed in the hallway.
Maybe someday the dress will fit.

lulubear101 said...
Feb. 11, 2012 at 11:07 am
this is amazing...i can totally relate!

HannahLeah97 said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:21 am
I like this poem a lot. the way you compare how "the feet dangle inches above" and how your hands struggle to emerge, this poem's got a very nice flow--it made want to keep reading when it had finished.

_emmadilemma_ said...
I loved this poem! It reminds me of my older sister and I. When I was younger she would always pass down her old dresses to me, and even though they didn't fit, I would prance around in them.

chloe_garrett said...
Jan. 28, 2012 at 11:51 am
I quite liked this poem. The way you describe striving for two different things and when you say "maybe someday the dress will fit" sort of justify the intensity of the peice. I can tell why it made the magazine. I'd be honored if you read some of my poetry and left a comment critiquing my work.

NigomayNamikaze said...
Jan. 28, 2012 at 9:22 am
OMGWTF!!!!!!!!! THAT WAS SOOOOOO AMAZING!!!!!

Rogersright said...
Jan. 28, 2012 at 9:10 am
wow, this is really good ! no wonder it made the magizine

FrenchHippie said...
Good Imagery! the meaning is really interesting too

Nessa13 said...
This was pretty good. I like the meaning(: Keep writing(;

Annoymous said...
this poem was good :)

KatieBaldwin95 said...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 11:04 am
I really enjoyed this poem because it was very well described and outstanding. Good job..(:

raindancegirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I loved this, except for when you used the word strive in two lines in a row...kind of interrupted and distracted from the writing in my opinion. Very nice though. Liked it quite a lot (and I understood it!)

SpiderMilk This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 12:13 am
I think she used it to illustrate the difference between striving for two different things with the same reason behind them. Almost like some form of dichotomy. :)

raindance72 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
That's an interesting thought! I still stand by my thought, though, as expected and overused as it is on this website....the way it is written interrupts the flow. Bottom line, whether or not there's symbolism behind it, you want the entire poem to flow along in the same way. JMO.

paigeesu96 said...
I completely agree?

Villangel said...
You have excellent word choice and you have a great way of making the words flow, but I didn't quite understand it either. Could you explain it please?

soffy said...

i didnt qite get it :(

Ender2 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I think I get it. As a younger sister, I see it as being compared to an older sister. Feeling that you're only second best. Getting all of the old, while she deserves the new.

Atleast that's what I got out of it. I really loved it though, well done! :)

goku900 said...
Dec. 15, 2011 at 8:03 am

nice dowg

Zeesquare said...
Dec. 15, 2011 at 3:34 am
Lovely work!! :)