Go Fish

It’s his turn
We both know it.
The impatient tapping of his foot
Matches the heartbeat in my chest.
I look at my card,
There’s only two left;
One pair.

He looks at me through his glasses
Glancing away as my blue eyes rise to meet his brown.
I grow so impatient I bite my lip,
He fiddles with his card.

Up go his eyes,
To my face,
But as soon as I look at him,
They flicker away.

We both hold the cards,
But neither are willing to ask,
For the fear that the game will be over,
And everything will be lost.

This is the game we play
Our hearts wandering close
And then walking away,
But our eyes forever playing a game of cards
One only understood by us
Hoping neither of us holds the joker,
But the matching ace.

jetta.ckThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
First of all, let me say how I loved how you incorporating several different card games into this piece!  It was truly fantastic reading this, because I honestly had the picture of it in my mind. I could feel the pressure of the moment, the suspense in the air, and the brown eyes flickering every so often. It was truly wonderful. Great job!

GraphicWriter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
It's not easy paining pictures in a reader's mind with poetry. Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

. said...
Wow. This is great! Very unique. Loved it! Please read, rate, and comment on my poems! Thanks!

Thank you :) I would love to read your writings as well, but I can't see your username..?

so_joy replied...
Sorry! I don't know why that happened.

It's ok :)