Once Upon a Time | Teen Ink

Once Upon a Time

By SapphireLamour DIAMOND, Omaha, Nebraska
SapphireLamour DIAMOND, Omaha, Nebraska

Once upon a time I loved you. Once upon a time you loved me back. Once upon a time I knew what it was to be happy. I was sure everything would be alright.
But then that time ended.
Because….
Once upon a time you were taken from me. Once upon a time I missed you terribly. Once upon a time I hoped. Once upon a time I assured myself everything would be alright.
Once upon a time your memory was still strong.
But then that time ended.
Because…
Once upon a time the dragon found out the princess was in love. Once upon a time I was locked away. Once upon a time they took you from me even though you were already gone.
Once upon a time a prisoner had her freedom taken away. Once upon a time they tried to crush my heart. Once upon a time I fought them off and protected my hope. Once upon a time I believed everything could still be alright.
But then that time ended.
Because…
Once upon a time the dragon found out the princess attempted to reach out to the one she loved. Once upon a time they continued adding weights to my already heavy heart. Once upon a time they succeeded. Once upon a time I doubted whether or not you still loved me.
Once upon a time I forgot what it was like to be happy. Once upon a time I had no hope. Once upon a time I cried and wanted nothing more than a quick death. Once upon a time I knew nothing could ever be right again.
But then that time ended.
Because…
Once upon a time I rebuilt my heart. Once upon a time I made it out of metal and without a door so I could not be hurt again. Once upon a time I gave up on love and happiness for safety. Once upon a time I realized I didn’t know if I loved you any longer for metal cannot love.
Once upon a time I became unhuman. Once upon a time I became a machine. Once upon a time I had no feelings and so they could not be hurt. Once upon a time I felt nothing.
Once upon a time it allowed me to survive. Once upon a time I knew nothing could ever be wrong or right again.
It is still that time.
If you do not love me that’s alright. I can survive though I will never live again. Metal does not live. Or love. But if you love me still there is hope for you yet. I could not rid myself of you entirely. My metal heart echoes your memory. It cannot love you. But it is sorry that it cannot love you.
Remember metal can be melted. New hearts can be made. Old loves can live again.
Now is the part where I say the end. But it may yet not be. It’s up to you. Whether or not the tale ends here. You have probably been hurt deeply too. So I will not blame you if you end it now. I’m sorry.

Epilogue
A spark in the dark set a metal heart aflame.
The metal melted away.
And revealed the living gold beneath.
The old love lived again.