Mary Elizabeth Stops the World | Teen Ink

Mary Elizabeth Stops the World

August 15, 2012
By musiclover97 GOLD, Elkins, West Virginia
musiclover97 GOLD, Elkins, West Virginia
19 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Trying to forget someone you love is like trying to remember someone you never knew."
"Writing is art to the blind, music to the deaf, comfort to the broken, and emotions to the expressionless."


1923- I was born this year. Daddy named me Mary Elizabeth after his mama. A new life from mother earth to support and another mouth for Mama and Daddy to feed. Yet, the world still goes round.
1929- I am 6 years old. The stock market crashed this month. The president was on the radio and said this is the beginning of the "Great Depression". Mama says things are going to be tough from now on. A lot of people have died lately. Mama says Daddy missed his stock so much that he died of a broken heart. Yet, the world still goes round.
1933- I am 10 years old. The Holocaust begins this year. Innocent millions will be tortured and killed. Yet, the world still goes round.
1939- I am 16 years old. The declaration of World War II was announced yesterday. There are young men out there fighting for us. A lot won't return home to their mamas. As I lie down for the night, I say a silent prayer for them. Yet, the world still goes round.
1940- I am 17 years old. There's a new band now that everyone loves. They're called the Beatles. I have their new record! Yet, the world still goes round.
1943- I am 20 years old. Today, I marry the courageous General James Robert Wilson III. Yet, the world still goes round.
Early 1945- I am 21 years old. World War II ended this year. People danced in the streets as our soldiers returned home. My brother John made it back safely while other men didn't. Yet, the world still goes round.
Late 1945- I am 22 years old. The Holocaust is now over. Hitler committed suicide. An estimated 5,860,000 people were killed only because of their beliefs. Yet, the world still goes round.
1947- I am 24 years old. Today, James and I had our first child, Robert William. He is named after his father. It is a wonderful day for us. Yet, the world still goes round.
1950- I am 27 years old. This year, North Korea invaded South Korea. Yet, the world still goes round.
Late 1952- My husband James was sent back to war. The battle rages on. Yet, the world still goes round.
Early 1953- I am 30 years old. The war has ended. As we wait for our beloveds to return, I realized my lovely James never will. Robert is 6 years old, same age I was when I lost Daddy. I am pregnant. Yet, the world still goes round.
1954- I am 31 years old. Our beautiful daughter, Rebbecca Ann is born today. She has her daddy's big blue eyes, but he will never see them. Yet, the world still goes round.
1960- I am 37 years old, but don't show it a bit. I joined the peace movement a few months ago. Robert, Rebbecca and I travel all over the country with tons of others protesting the war and spreading its horrors. Yet, the world still goes round.
1970- I am 47 years old. Robert marries a young woman named Diane. It is the best day of their young lives. Yet, the world still goes round.
1972- I am 49 years old. Rebbecca gave me my first grandchild out of wedlock this year. Her name is Rachel Nichole and I love her so much. Yet, the world still goes round.
1973- I am 50 years old. More grandchildren. Diane had twins! Christopher William, the William after his Daddy and Kimberly Elizabeth, the Elizabeth after me of course. Two more babies brought to life. Yet, the world still goes round.
1994- I am 71 years old and greatly showing it. Wrinkles inhabit my face. Kurt Cobain accidentally committed suicide this year and thousands of teenage girls went with him. Including my granddaughter Kimberly. Yet, the world still goes round.
2000- I am 77 years old. I've seen a lot in my time. I have stage 4 lung cancer. As I lie on my death bed, I know the world will still go round after I'm gone. So it makes me wonder. What exactly could ever make it stop?