Fishbowl

I peek outside from
Behind the glass.
Azure surrounds me,
A glint of bright orange here and there.
Her mouth moves open and closed,
Laughing,
I cannot hear her.

I look myself over,
And don’t see anything wrong.
Bubbles fly from my mouth.
Pointing fingers,
Taps on the glass.
Tink, Tink.
The glass shakes, but sadly
Does not break.

There’s one, two, three…
Four girls.
Tink, Tink.
It seems like thousands.
Laughing, mocking.

Pebbles crush below me,
Their colors
Blue, purple, and green.
Tink, Tink.

Girls looking at me,
Looking at their leader
Like a pack of wolves.
Tink, Tink.

I see a sign,
“Please don’t touch the glass”,
As if they care.
I rather them break the glass,
Than leave me alone.
Tink, Tink.

This is
What it’s like to
Live in a
Fishbowl.

mee-mee said...
Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:24 am:
aaahhh mee like(:  at first i was like , whaaa 0.o when i saw the title so i read it and whew ! caught me in for a suorise lmao very good write !

OldYoungOne replied...
Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:55 pm :
totally agree i thought the same exact thing lol but i like the perspective

so_joyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:46 pm :
Thank you!

Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:49 pm :
Do you mind checking out my other poem, Sitting Alone? I think you'll enjoy it.

LihuaEmilyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You have a gift for imagery. Rockin'!

Oct. 23, 2012 at 6:35 pm :
Thank you!

SonjaRenaeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is really good, I like it :) Wonderful use if imagery

Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:14 am :
Thank you!

MarieAntoinette2012 said...
Sept. 6, 2012 at 10:13 am:
I like this. It's a good perspective, and I can relate. I put up with a lot because I'm chubby and all I do is read and write, so I'm in the fish bowl a lot.

MarieAntoinette2012 said...
Sept. 6, 2012 at 10:13 am:

Sept. 6, 2012 at 3:47 pm :
Thank you! I'm sorry about that-no one should ever be bullyed for not being bone-skinny.

ShahiroThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
nice work, it is a good description of what it's like to be bullyed. i must be a wierd person, when people torment me i still try to be nice to them and be their friend...

MarieAntoinette2012 replied...
Sept. 6, 2012 at 10:12 am :
No, not weird, just a better person than I can ever be.

Sept. 6, 2012 at 3:49 pm :
Thank you! And,just so you know, the only people I think of as "weird" are those who torment innocent people who are just trying to be themselves.

Aderes47 said...
Your quote really gets at the very painful aspect of bulling, I should know, just the pain of being lonely! Even though you only have five poems, it's great stuff! I look forward to reading more of your writing!

Aug. 30, 2012 at 5:43 pm :
Thank you!

Aduke9 said...
Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:11 am:
This is an amazing poem! Thank you for commenting on my work. Sorry it took so long to return the favor :)

Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:05 pm :
Thank you! Its okay:)

LongLazyDays55 said...
Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:45 am:
Wow! Your poem's are so good! The idea of the fishbowl and bullying is a great idea. Keep writing! :D

sbetsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:25 pm :
Thank you!

Zero_Black said...
Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:59 am:
wow, great metaphor! i can really see it clearly, the imagery is good. it's also nice how you use "azure" rather than "blue" in the first stanza; your vocab is smart and intelligent, too. thanks for a great reading!