I Am From This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am from
My green blankey and
Climbing out of my crib
From playing mermaid in the bathtub.

I am from walking my dog,
And the noise he made when I step on his tail.

I am from my sheep nightlight
And Blue’s Clues and the Berenstain Bears.
I am from spinning until
I can’t tell where I am and
Seeing the world upside-down.

I am from long days at school
And hurrying home to watch Pokémon.
From chocolate-chip cookies at
Grandma’s house.

I am from July days in the pool
And running through the sprinklers.
From my imaginary friends and
The games we used to play like
Doctor and patient and teacher and student.

I am from trips to the grocery store
And that time I fell out of the cart onto the
Sticky linoleum floor.

I am from the tap tap tap
Of my tap shoes that one week
That I decided to be a dancer.
I am from trying new things.

I am from rainy days
And board games,
Saturday cartoons and Cheerios.

I am from walks on the beach
And the sand on my feet,
And not wanting to go home after vacation.

I am from Barbies and Polly Pockets
From playing with my sister,
The other half of me.

I am from books and flashlights
And pens and paper.
From silence to screaming.

I am from tears on my pillow
And unanswered cries.
From holding your hand
And that look in your eyes.

I am from past and present
And dreams of the future.
I am from hard work and
Harder play.
And I am from writing down my thoughts
On a midsummer’s day.

TheJIsLikeAY said...
today at 2:22 am:
I really really loved this poem. We did these in class this year and it brought back good memories.

PropheteerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 11 at 1:03 am:
This is really powerful and relatable. Nicely done.

XandiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 20 at 3:22 pm:
This is an amazing poem. I'll definetly be looking out for more of them. I also read some of your other poems, and they are just awesome. You put so much thought and meaning into so few words, and are a truly gifted writer.

im_awesomeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 20 at 10:52 am:
this is beautiful. and amazing. this poem is unique in a different way then others. the best poem i have seen.

Calli G. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 21 at 12:34 pm:
This poem is lovely.  The element of nostalgia really hits home. I can relate to most of the childhood memories you mentioned, as I'm sure many others can, too. Beautifully done, you have a real gift.  

Paulina I. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 6 at 7:20 pm:
This is beautifuly writen. It is very visual and it's one of my all time favorite poems on here. Keep writing! You truly have a gift. I bet you would like the poem my big sister wrote. AlexandraL. Her poem called Different is a true work of art.

C.neishaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 1 at 8:35 am:
Beautiful :)

meghan00 said...
Feb. 18 at 1:36 pm:
 i like how you incorpated all the good memories from all of our childhoods to one poem. this was a good freeverse poem, i love it.

EEKgirl said...
Jan. 11 at 12:10 am:
This poem made me smile. It's nice to read cheerful freestyle. :)

kimisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This poem was awsome, helped me remember the good parts in my childhood

Mia1023 said...
Dec. 13, 2013 at 9:27 am:
I think this is one of my favorites every written on the site. I can relate to it as if you took the memories out of my head and simply set them into the frame of words. I love this poem. (:

Nard Allen said...
Very good!!

Nard Allen said...
Very good!!

PargaranThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I could relate to a lot of this! Haha, good old childhood. I miss it.

NewBeginnings This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:32 am:
This peice is just....beautiful.

doritos44This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
this is s bold and out there.. connecting it to real wrld things, its simply beautiful

FemmeGeek This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is magical :)

FilmEcho68This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
We just read a poem like this in creative writing!!!!! I love how you put your life into it!! Simple beauty... i like it :)

writefearless said...
this is a wonderful poem. it made me smile and reminded me of my own childhood. it is nostalgic and funny at the same time. most of all, i love how everything in this poem is true. beautiful ♥ thank you for writing this :)

CarrieElizabeth said...
Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:12 am:
This poem was simply beautiful. Words can not describe the way that I could relate (and from the comments, I'm not the only one!) The stanza "I am from tears on my pillow..." stood out to me more than any other, simply because of the way that can be you for the rest of your life. Sure, the others are bittersweet memories, but I don't think you ever reach an age where you are too old to cry and hold someone's hand. I applaud you for such beautiful memories and writing. :)