I Am From This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am from
My green blankey and
Climbing out of my crib
From playing mermaid in the bathtub.

I am from walking my dog,
And the noise he made when I step on his tail.

I am from my sheep nightlight
And Blue’s Clues and the Berenstain Bears.
I am from spinning until
I can’t tell where I am and
Seeing the world upside-down.

I am from long days at school
And hurrying home to watch Pokémon.
From chocolate-chip cookies at
Grandma’s house.

I am from July days in the pool
And running through the sprinklers.
From my imaginary friends and
The games we used to play like
Doctor and patient and teacher and student.

I am from trips to the grocery store
And that time I fell out of the cart onto the
Sticky linoleum floor.

I am from the tap tap tap
Of my tap shoes that one week
That I decided to be a dancer.
I am from trying new things.

I am from rainy days
And board games,
Saturday cartoons and Cheerios.

I am from walks on the beach
And the sand on my feet,
And not wanting to go home after vacation.

I am from Barbies and Polly Pockets
From playing with my sister,
The other half of me.

I am from books and flashlights
And pens and paper.
From silence to screaming.

I am from tears on my pillow
And unanswered cries.
From holding your hand
And that look in your eyes.

I am from past and present
And dreams of the future.
I am from hard work and
Harder play.
And I am from writing down my thoughts
On a midsummer’s day.

LeisurelySketchesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 4:59 am
Loved the 'I am from..' at the beginning of each stanza, and how it adds meaning to the poem. Simple but beautiful, and something that everyone can relate to.

Patrick82432This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I like this piece and the message of how time changes the way you live your life.

socialkaysualtyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 16, 2016 at 9:41 am
this is so hauntingly true... love it!

anna4real.zThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Ahh you just named like half of the pleasant things I knew as a kid. And I love your ending!

SallyW. said...
I relate to this so much. This is beautiful!

Kalianah_WogomanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i like this poem. I like how you worded it.

miaH.505This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I really like this poem. You took a rather mainstream concept of writing about your child hood "Where I'm From" and really made it your own. You made it unique. Great job!

Slampoet said...
Brilliant love it , Please check out my work @slampoet

janesnow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
haven't we all tap-tap-tapped our tap shoes that one week? so relatable, it's insane...

payton25 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Amazing poem! Loved the ending verse

bootypopper23 said...
it doesnt rhyme fix ur poem plssss

janesnow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
this triggered my bothersome, as well, my good sir.

Artemis.RoeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 14, 2016 at 10:52 am
I remember doing something like this for a project back in sixth grade! Great poem! :)

ashley01rocksThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 27, 2016 at 7:01 am
amazing poem

Roe-DanielsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 17, 2016 at 7:58 am
Made me smile :) great job!

Feb. 17, 2016 at 7:57 am
Oh wow that was truely amazing. So simple but I love it so much. The lines are sometime like quick thoughts darting around inside in your head but move to a more swirling rhythm as if you can feel the wind you are throwing the words into. Wonderful :)

Feb. 17, 2016 at 7:53 am
Quick and sharp like a bright spark idea hits you. Fantastic! Keep writing.

Feb. 17, 2016 at 7:52 am
Honest and beautiful. It to me sounds like a private love letter that you can never send to someone, the type of letter you keep in a box under your bed. It's very romantic and in a sad way warms the heart to know that it was so special and you can still remember those great, wonderful moments alongside the pain. Keep writing xx

Feb. 17, 2016 at 7:46 am
I can't believe you are eleven and can write so beautifully. So sweet and romantic. We need to read more poems like this, ones that touch the heart.

Feb. 17, 2016 at 7:44 am
I love this. The rhythm is so addictive that you just read on, and continue to spiral down though the emotionally whirlpool.