Zombie Poem

I watch the building burn through eyes that have seen so much pain these past four years.
I feel the heat of the flames lick my face with their rough tongue,
see the tendrils of smoke twirl into the black stain that is now our sky, another victim of the plague.
Above, in the top floors, I see the monsters in the windows.
They are not screaming, not crying for help.
They just stand there, quietly waiting for the flames to consume them.

They seem to be looking at me, but I know better.
They can’t see anymore. Not truly, anyway.
They can only smell, and hunt, and feast.
And die.

I can sense more of them around me, staggering, stumbling.
They are drawn to the bright flames that I have created.
I should leave before they get to close,
Before they notice me.
But, I cannot.

I feel no will to move.
I only want to stand here and watch this building of monsters burn.
It is horrific, but beautiful in its own way.
A purging of evil, I suppose.
I decide that I am done fighting for a lost cause.

Unholstering my pistol, I place the barrel to my temple.
The metal is cool relief to my head.
After only a moment’s hesitation, I curl my finger around the trigger.
It’s over in a moment.
Pull. BOOM!
As I fall, I can see the dark masses of the monsters around me.
They moan as they prepare to feast.

I smile in my victory.
They cannot hurt me now.
As darkness takes my vision, I ask a question that I’ve asked a thousand times since the beginning.
Is there a God?
I still don’t have an answer, even now.
But, I guess I will find out in a moment or two.

RoyalCoronaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 31, 2013 at 12:00 am:
This was really good! It was extremely magnificent, the details were so vibrant and fluid!! Nice job!

BookNerd35 said...
May 30, 2013 at 11:53 pm:
Really good! I liked it!!

JettaWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 10, 2013 at 6:13 pm:
WOW!!!!! Intense. The first paragraph reminded me of 9/11 when all of the people just stayed in the burning buildings.. Then, I loved the twist you put on this poem. So interesting & unique. Love it.

readaholicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Yeah, awesome poem.  Very awesome story, but it has the flow and rythmn of a poem, which is an awesome combination.  Really, great poem!  Throw stuff together more often!

Stormy9890 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Haha! Your characters are always so interesting and control freaks, I guess. I love your imagery in this too- 'see the tendrils of smoke twirl into the black stain that is now our sky' was my favorite line. Your ending is not as predictable either, which I love! The first line is a bit too descriptive for me, though. In my mind it's best if you start with a simple sentence. If just left it at 'I watch the building burn.' I'd be even more in love with it than I already am!

albinotiger said...
Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm:
HAHA I love zombie writing! u did a really good job and i love how the character ended things on his/her terms! powerful! (maybe check out my stuff sometime)

albinotiger said...
Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm:

KateLA said...
Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:22 pm:
I like how you did a different theme for a poem than the usual, it just really sounds more like a short story rather than a poem-but I love the idea :-)

Waffuleez said...
Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:10 pm:
Very nice and creative. Good job :) Very nice imagery. I loved it :)

Super_Mario_ProseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:46 am:

OOOooo nice imagery ;) "Flames lick my face..." "Black stain that is now our sky..." "tendrils of smoke..." Those are good

Nice punchy ending there, too ;)

Quick critique: It would be "Before they get TOO close". You forgot the extra O.