Hero Of War | Teen Ink

Hero Of War

By Staystrong13 PLATINUM, Royse City, Texas
Staystrong13 PLATINUM, Royse City, Texas

"What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." -T.S. Eliot

The distinct taste of salted iron blood lingers in his mouth as his life leaves his veins yet he holds strong. He pulls himself up, strength and pride filling him where life once had, as he carries his country’s flag onward.

Baring bullets of lead, yells of hatred, he trucks forward. He watches as his friends, brothers, fall one by one beside him begging for a God he cannot see to save them all. His faith is strong but his will power is stronger. He cries to the skies as death surrounds them, but he is not afraid. He is not screaming out of fear or pain, he cries out for deliverance as the costs of the war rage on. Hope, love, promise and faith shall bring him home; deliverance will be served with his growing age as his love for his flag never wavers.

His country has grown strong as his scars and memories fade. There is not a sunrise or sunset that this veteran has not seen without thanking the God he loves. Even as his sanity fades his faith and undying love never cease to relinquish their grip on his heart. He does not recognize the faces of those he once loved but he always salutes the flag he longs to protect. He cannot remember his name yet he always remembers to pray and smile.

Life was not kind to him but she was not cruel. She tested his limits yet never gave him more than he could handle. She kisses him goodbye as he runs to the arms of his creator and the earth whispers thank yous to her hero of war.