That's Not the Case This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

There are days that
I don't think I look
like you at all,

that I look more like
Dad, that all his genes
were passed on to me.

So on those days,
I pull out that picture
where our hair is almost
the same,

and my smile is just about
as crooked,
as big,
as yours.

I hold them there,
side by side,
and for a fleeting moment,
I am my mother's daughter.

But only for a moment,
for when I put the picture down,
people can only compare me to Dad,
because he's alive.

And if I walked around with
that picture of you to show everyone,
people would just think

I was having a hard time
letting you go.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the October 2012 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

bwriter24 said...
this was beautiful

ShahiroThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Amazing!!!!!! beautiful.... ps. will u please check out my work???? thx  

Malanie said...
Oct. 22, 2012 at 7:26 am:
This is so beautiful.

OutKast said...
This is wonderful its very heartfelt .

Shen4 said...
Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:12 am:
i reminds me of the time i lost my younger brother, thanks for posting it

i_am_so_very_large_and_towering This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is really really great!!!!!

Zithia This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I appreciate the honesty in this poem.  The 3rd, 4th, 7th and 8th stanzas are particularly beautiful and actually nearly made me cry!  They are perfect.  I felt that in the 6th stanza could have been phrased better.  There might be a way of saying "because he's alive" that wouldn't break up the flow too much.  Keep in mind, that I only tell you this because the poem is so close to perfect and that I want you to push yourself so that you can make this po... (more »)

xxLivxx said...
Beautiful work. Well done!

garshongjasmine said...
Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:35 am:
breath-taking  

irishlass317This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is so beautiful. You put so much emotion into this, and we, as readers are forced to mourn with you. This is so breathtaking and amazing. Wonderful job, and keep writing!!

pandagirl312 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This poem has so much power and meaning. I like how it tells a story in only so many words. Great work! :)

SonjaRenaeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is really good :)

DynamoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:51 am:
That was awsum! A bit dreamy, yet still awsum!

tayrobin said...
Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:49 am:
simple, but so beautiful. keep it up x

InkWriter13 said...
Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:40 pm:
Wonderful poetry! Simple, yet nicely written with clarity. Real emotion. Powerful, moving, truthful. Beautiful writing, talented writer. Would you please comment on my work titled The Perfect Fit?

AriShineThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 27, 2012 at 6:22 pm:
You really drew me in. This is heartbreaking and powerful. KEEP WRITING!

ClarinetPower said...
Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:37 am:
wow. that's all I can say at the moment, I am still processing the chilling beauty of this poem.

mindless_dreaming said...
Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:57 pm:
This is beautiful, you are a poet

Lizla This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:46 pm:
This is sentimental and sad at the same time. I think it's great. It's short and simple, yet clearly showcases your writing ability. Very well done! :)