Smile This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

When I was born
you could fit a moon in my mouth
no, not That Way
the Other way

The way people don't like it
but they can't help it
and neither can I

Any more that you could change
the size, the color, the glow
of the moon
to fit your whim

Well, actually, I guess I can
but not really
because it wanes when I want it
to wax
and it waxes when I want it to wane
phases they're called
at least, that's what I've heard

Only so often do you see it
the way it's
“supposed to”
be

But if you
close your eyes
you can see it anytime
you like

Just because the clouds
are covering
the moon
doesn't mean it's not
there waiting
not hiding

In the day
and the night
it's there
you just choose not to
see it
the way I want
you to

RJW1997 said...
I love it! I love the meaning and the effort you put into it!

skywriter1111 said...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:29 am
I really like this and i feel like a lot of effort was put into it! I like the spacing of the words. Well done!

InkWriter13 said...
An interesting perspective. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure that I understand the big message here. Could you enlighten me? In terms of the poetic elements, your phrases have clarity and focus. It seems very nicely organized and laid out; that is definitely crucial to any writer's success. Would you please comment on my work titled Without the Writer, Delusional Dream, and the Printer?

silverstars This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

Hmm... I don't usually like to tell people the exact meaning because it's up to interpretation. However, since you specifically asked, I'll tell you.

It's a very personal poem to me, because I'm born with a mouth that naturally turns downward. Thus, when I have a normal expression and am walking about, people think of me as unfriendly. And I really only smile when I laugh. And I'm not photogenic, so I sometimes look unhappy or unpleasant in photographs. Unfortunately, this means that p... (more »)

I cannot find your poem even though I searched through your work. Could you please provide a link? Thanks!