Smile | Teen Ink

Smile MAG

By jlinjessica SILVER, C, California
jlinjessica SILVER, C, California

When I was born
you could fit a moon in my mouth
no, not That Way
the Other way

The way people don't like it
but they can't help it
and neither can I

Any more that you could change
the size, the color, the glow
of the moon
to fit your whim

Well, actually, I guess I can
but not really
because it wanes when I want it
to wax
and it waxes when I want it to wane
phases they're called
at least, that's what I've heard

Only so often do you see it
the way it's
“supposed to”
be

But if you
close your eyes
you can see it anytime
you like

Just because the clouds
are covering
the moon
doesn't mean it's not
there waiting
not hiding

In the day
and the night
it's there
you just choose not to
see it
the way I want
you to

This is about myself.

Roper GOLD said...
on Oct. 1 2012 at 12:09 pm
Roper GOLD, Krum, Texas

"What a boy can do, A girl can do better"

I love it! I love the meaning and the effort you put into it!

on Jun. 24 2012 at 11:29 am
skywriter1111 BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois

"We are all stuck in the gutter; but some of us are looking at the stars."-Oscar Wilde

I really like this and i feel like a lot of effort was put into it! I like the spacing of the words. Well done!

on Jun. 22 2012 at 6:51 pm
jlinjessica SILVER, C, California
I cannot find your poem even though I searched through your work. Could you please provide a link? Thanks!

on Jun. 22 2012 at 6:47 pm
jlinjessica SILVER, C, California

Hmm... I don't usually like to tell people the exact meaning because it's up to interpretation. However, since you specifically asked, I'll tell you.

It's a very personal poem to me, because I'm born with a mouth that naturally turns downward. Thus, when I have a normal expression and am walking about, people think of me as unfriendly. And I really only smile when I laugh. And I'm not photogenic, so I sometimes look unhappy or unpleasant in photographs. Unfortunately, this means that people conclude incorrect opinions about my personality and attitude. 

Universally speaking, it speaks for those who may not express emotion outright. It may be that people are too shy or they just aren't in the habit of doing so. Whatever their reasons, these people are just as passionate about life as everyone else. It's just not right on the surface level, but deeper within. So many cliches could fit this theme. One possibility is "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Another is, "Don't judge a book by its cover.

I'm glad to hear that it has clarity and focus, as I often am too verbose, especially when I write essays. I write poems very sporadically, so I don't have the benefit of improving by writing every day. I write while in the moment, high on emotion. I'm glad that the emotion didn't overflow and confuse people.

Thank you for expressing interest in my work. And I will go over and read your work to give it my honest opinion.

InkWriter13 said...
on Jun. 22 2012 at 6:27 pm
An interesting perspective. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure that I understand the big message here. Could you enlighten me? In terms of the poetic elements, your phrases have clarity and focus. It seems very nicely organized and laid out; that is definitely crucial to any writer's success. Would you please comment on my work titled Without the Writer, Delusional Dream, and the Printer?