Snow's Deadly Desire

The white lights meet them eye-to-eye.
They know they must swerve,
It’s what they were taught.
But the brightness is intoxicating,
Too late
They collide,
Their tiny bodies the ghosts of mayflies.

pandagirl312 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 17, 2012 at 4:15 pm:
This is pretty, but I'm not really sure if I understand it. What I'm thinking it means is there's snow on the ground, and two cars are coming towards each other. (The white lights=headlights. Swerve as in swerving out of another cars way.) They are "intoxicated" by the light, and they crash into one another. Then they die. It's kind of confusing, and I got a lot of my interpretation from the picture (Nice photo by the way). Also, don't really get the "ghosts of mayflies" thing either. It's reall... (more »)

Kaffeine replied...
Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:24 am :

Thanks for commenting! It really means a lot to me.

I'm mainly a fiction writer, so the poems you see on this site are mostly experimental. I'm afraid of "spoon-feeding" the reader, as well as making the poem too difficult to understand. As you can see, I'm still trying to find the balance!

This poem is aiming to describe the trajectory of snow. When snow gets too heavy, it seems to be attracted to the headlights of cars (the white lights), and flies directly at them, instead of... (more »)

pandagirl312 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 18, 2012 at 12:08 pm :
I see. That makes sense. I will agree that in poems like this that there is for sure a very delicate balance. It could use some work, but you're off to a great start!