I am... | Teen Ink

I am...

By Nire_Kalen SILVER, Boise, Idaho
Nire_Kalen SILVER, Boise, Idaho

If the world was as mad as Tim Burton and Doctor Seuss, it would be way more fun.

I am scared and shaken by crime and war that leaves me vulnerable, yet still I fight and hope for better days.

I wonder if like the ocean that beats against my shores, that we can also one day be strong and calm

I hear the hopes and dreams and prayers of my people, yet the sound is drowned out by the pain and suffering they share

I see the flat plains on which you walk on without a thought of my history

I wish to see our economy rise like the great mountains ranges, not to valley like our low valley ways

I feel the happiness and sadness, the warmth and the cold, the shame and the glory my people with always face

I touch the warmth beneath your feet yet reach high to the sky in never ending hopes and dreams of peace

I smell oil and octane in the wind and rain, mixed with the stench of stale gasoline

I worry that is my fragile framework snaps it will crate a mess like you wouldn’t believe

I cry tears of red to resemble the war and bloodshed of past, present, and most likely future

I understand the misunderstood pain of death and what circumstances it brings

Yet I say our hope is still as strong as the ocean is brilliant

I dream of peaceful night and glorious days

As best I try to summarize us, I simple cannot find the words to

I hope one day to come and go. Stay and leave as I please and nothing will change so drastically

I am Liberia

In school we each had to choose an African country to do a poem on, i chose Liberia and here is my finished poem