How Font Nerds Experience Emotion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I love you, he told her,
In 44-pt Zapfino,
the tendrilly serifs curling
around her,
like his arm might have
if he were bolder.

Later they fought, her anger
hitting the air
in 108-pt Tekton, poking and
biting and throwing curveballs off
the ever-so-slightly snaking serifs.

Afterwards he was curt,
10-pt Chaparral,
clear, short serifs
and not much to say
but the clipped-off form of his words
needed no underlining
to get the message across.

Eventually they figured it out,
in 24-pt Georgia
just enough gentle serifs
for love's sake,
but no more of the melodramatic tendrils
which overpower
the reader's eye.

KatsK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is really clever and original.

Helena.of.Karatha This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like it. I feel like perhaps you might use the word "serif" too often, but it doesn't really have convenient synonyms. Very good overall. And I am, perhaps, a font-nerd.

leavesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This poem is fantastic!

j.Jaishri.a This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 4, 2012 at 2:29 am
This is a very interesting idea - one I can honestly say I don't read too much about. That kind of originality is and will continue to serve you as a writer - keep writing!