Fighting A war | Teen Ink

Fighting A war

By RoseJ BRONZE, Texas, Texas
RoseJ BRONZE, Texas, Texas

Love is forever, Bite Me, Make me, Pshhhhh

The day's all pass in suspicion and fear when you aren't near.
I miss hearing your soft whispered tone by my ear.

I can still feel your touch even when we're half a world apart.
I know you have to fight, I know you see the ugly sights, Still you have my heart.

The Nights I lie awake and think about the war going on.
It's like a head banging rock song.
The singer knows the words, the audience is left to wonder what it is that is being sang so loud.
I know you know the words we speak, I know the things, you shouldn't have to see, Still I am So Very Proud.

I know the day, you arrive in peace, You will stand beside me and rest finally.
The day we get to hold each other tight I know we will finally get some sleep.
What you sing so loud and clear, is like a slow country song, the words mean everything, the singer means more.

Tomorrow is another day, you have to play.
With your big army guns and you missiles and more, The water you get comes from the shore.
You never would have thought A little boy playing in mud and muck would end up fighting a war.
You never would have thought that, playing with that water gun, would end up fighting in the sandbox.

Its not a pretty sight, the things that you fight for, I know that one day, you will be home.
Safe.
Forever.

Until That Day, I want you to know, everything about you, makes my heart glow.
Everything you do, for me and this country, I appreciate the sacrifices you make.
Each and every day.

Fighting a war, you shouldn't have to fight.

I wrote this poem when my dad was over seas. I know what soldiers go through is not always pretty.
I write this in hopes, that everyone would read this and truly appreciate just what those hard working soldiers do.

RoseJ BRONZE said...
RoseJ BRONZE, Texas, Texas

Thanks Jackiee, I love people telling me where I went wrong, and also what parts they loved! :) I wrote this simply because my dad is in the army, so I really related to it a lot!

jackiee129 PLATINUM, Kent, Connecticut

"It makes me happy when I see teenage girls who clearly don't fit in, gives me hope that the future might still have personality" - Haley Williams

“You are not your bra-size, nor are you the width of your waist, nor are you the slenderness of your calves. You are not your hair color, your skin color, nor are you a shade of lipstick. Your shoe-size is of no consequence. You are not defined by the amount of attention you get from males, females, or any combination thereof. You are not the number of sit-ups you can do, nor are you the number of calories in a day. You are not your mustache. You are not the hair on your legs. You are not a little red dress. You are no amalgam of these things. You are the content of your character. You are the ambitions that drive you. You are the goals that you set. You are the things that you laugh at and the words that you say. You are the thoughts you think and the things you wonder. You are beautiful and desirable not for the clique you attend, but for the spark of life within you that compels you to make your life a full and meaningful one. You are beautiful not for the shape of the vessel, but for the volume of the soul it carries.”

I can feel the emotion in this poem. It's a very interesting take on men overseas, which makes it both heartrenching and different. I think that this piece could have flowed a bit better, and the analogy of a rock song was a bit weak and lacked poetic feel (in my opinion). otherwise great piece. keep writing!