Ripped Jeans and Broken Promises This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Scuffed ends and trailing hems,
White lines where the material begins to separate,
Ripped knees and fading color,
Pockets filled with empty promises,
A movie ticket, some change, and a packet of spearmint gum,
A black heart inked on the denim,
So much darker than the pale navy blue.
I pull them on,
Jumping up and pulling as they stick
like glue,
Lying on my bed and sucking in my stomach,
But the zipper isn't working anymore.
And the button is hanging on by a single loose thread.
But I will not throw them away because they're broken,
My old blue jeans I bought when I was fifteen,
They weren't meant to last forever.
But I had started to believe they would.
I'm not ready to let them go just yet.

JettaWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:42 pm:
So interesting! I love it! At the beginning, it was more abstract, but it became more literal as it went along, kind of like being in a dream and then slowly awakening. I like it! (: The imagery towards the middle and end was great, too.

alex2512 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:56 pm :
Thanks :) Ya, it ws definitely meant to be more literal at the end, but with a double meaning as well :) I was kind of trying to blend the vague memories attatched to the jeans with the not wanting to throw them away. Honestly it's not so much abot the jeans at all :L

TheEpic95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:31 pm:
Oh, gosh! That is good, i never throw anything away. How can one throw away memories? This acuratley captures the "see, mom? Its still good..." desperation that comes with our favorite things as they grow too worn out. Great job!

Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:32 pm :
Thanks you :D

Aeryka said...
Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:20 am:
That sounds awesome!!!

HoldingFast This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 18, 2012 at 4:10 pm:
awh i love this. i've done that so many times with jeans and shoes. it's amazing, i love it. <3