The Devil

He rides on
My shoulder, the Devil,
Every single day
Watching every move
I make
And listening to
Every word I say.

He controls my
Heart, my brain,
My soul
And with whips
And lashes he
Moulds my mind into
Every move of his own.

His amusement is found
In my anger, pain and guilt
And I hear his
Monstrous laugh every time
A lonely tear
Hits the cold ground.

He tells me
What to think,
He tells me
What to do.
He tells me
With whom dark alliances
Are to be made
And with whom
Deep colours of attachment
Are to fade.

Oh father dear!
Please don’t cry!
Your heart I did
Not mean to break.
Oh brother dear!
Please hold my
Mother tight for
Her fragile heart
Cannot bear the
Greif of a lost child.

I assure you,
That one day
I will come home;
That one day
This will all end
But just till then,
He rides on
My shoulder, the Devil,
Every single day
Watching every move
I make
And listening to
Every word I say.

applesauceHater said...
i want to apoligize for the very very late reply:(  anywho, this poem was brilliant!!Wonderfull!!!i cant seem to say much because many people already have said so(see:3 scroll down for wonderfull comments to a wonderfull piece from a wonderful poet!)

corallee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:19 pm:

Lovely poem. My favorite part about this was the repetition you used in the first and last stanza; I felt that very effectively wrapped up your poem.

The only suggestion I have is to maybe start a new stanza after "This will all end", so it's more of an "end", and the "but just till then" isn't so immediately after. 

Brooke M. said...
Jun. 20, 2012 at 6:50 pm:
Really creepy and really good :)

Artemisia said...
Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:17 pm:
This poem is haunting. The way you phrased everything is so elegant. The mood in here is so well-defined, too; it's the kind of writing that grabs the reader's attention and doesn't let go until the end. I also like how this piece doesn't always rhyme; that adds to the intensity. Completely awesome job. :)

Kenziemcm13 said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:31 pm:
AMAZING! Is all I can say! Loved it so creative, you have such a way with words! Can you please go read some of mine I know they are not as good as yours but I am new to this! I would be honored if you can go rate mine and maybe give me some advice on how to do better as a poet :)

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 5:30 pm:
Nice job! for some reason it kind of reminds me of a song! :) 

wordjunkie said...
May 25, 2012 at 10:32 pm:
Dyaaaaa! Oh my gosh I love it. Truly! Though it may be because I tend to have a rare but explosive temper. x) Still. The style is great, the occasional rhymes all the more powerful for their inconsistancy, I just...really like it. And I tend toward being really critical of poetry. Wow.

satellite23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 25, 2012 at 12:11 pm:
I like it! I like how the poem comes to a closure and wraps the beginning around to the end. My teacher once said that a good poem should remind the reader of something, and this poem did just that.

jackiee129 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 25, 2012 at 7:01 am:
I love the metaphor in this poem. The darker tone was interesting and it flowed very nicely. love a lot of the word choice too.

dancer25 said...
May 24, 2012 at 11:55 am:
verry good. i like the depth  

sumer44This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 24, 2012 at 10:45 am:
This is a great poem. I like how you show emotion in it. 

Behind_a_Plastic_Smile said...
May 23, 2012 at 6:13 pm:
this was a really cool and initeresting peice. i love how it's ciclicle and in the story that it tells

tears-of-an-angelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 21, 2012 at 3:21 pm:
hey i really like this andi love how its written. its a very gud metaphoric poem... keep up the gud work..