Why Can't I Remember? | Teen Ink

Why Can't I Remember?

By Bridie ELITE, Massapequa, New York
Bridie ELITE, Massapequa, New York

She can because she thinks she can.

Frustration:

What’s wrong with me? Why am I here? What good am I?
Why can’t I remember? WHY CAN’T I REMEMBER?
A girl sits in the corner as her deep blue eyes well up with tears. She is left with stains on her heart, holes in her brain, and all it leaves is pain.
The heat gathers and rushes through her. Think. Think. Think. Her head collapses as she crawls into her turtle shell.
The hot icy tears smear her face and matts up her long blonde hair. The itching in her throat catches her sobs as she gasps for air, and her body quivers and shakes.
Today the stains are blue, tomorrow might be red…then that thought is gone, sucked into the vortex in my head.
Why am I here? What’s wrong with me? What am I doing? Why am I crying? How do I get out?
Why can’t I remember? Why can’t I remember? WHY CAN’T I REMEMBER?

This peice is to express how frustrating it is to live with short term memory loss. It is no joking matter and although I do not know what it is like someone very close to me suffers from this. It isn't as bad as I had made it in the poem but people really can have it as bad as not knowing who they are or where they are. This is not something you can just look at someone and know it could be anyone; your teacher, neighbor, cousin, or even your best friend. So just remember to be sensitive of what you say it might be a joking matter to you but it's real life to many people.