Buoyant This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I used to be popularity's anchor;
I sank to the ocean floor.
I've been splashed with drama
Drowned by rumors
Drenched with gossip
Tossed around by the tides of trends
Swept away by peer pressure's rip current;
Lost at sea.
I was washed ashore by lost hope.
Then my mind learned to swim.
My reputation flourished with fins.
My personality sprouted gills.
I treaded water through psychological typhoon.
I stood tall against verbal cyclones
I endured emotional monsoons.
I've seen rough and calm waters
Failure and success have ebbed and flowed
And I've been swimming against the current ever since.
But now, in the vast seas of popularity, I am no longer sinking
Nor swimming
I am simply just
Floating.

Deej6595 said...
I like the language you used. You can tell that this was written with emotion. I like the last four lines especially. Those were very powerful and easy to relate to but, nonconformity is not such a bad thing. It's only high school and life will surely get better.

Kamana said...
It was great, very visual with an awesome metaphor.  I could see the drama you were describing being very closely compared to the ocean.  

Christian T. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:12 am:
I feel like it could flow a little better, but it's an amazing poem!

chris341This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:57 am:
Great metaphor!

LaChouetteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:57 am:
The imagery in this is great! Keep up the good work!

Mario94 said...
Aug. 7, 2013 at 11:59 am:
Honestly, I love this piece. It's so symbolic that I actually saw eveything occur in my mind. I also sense relationton the poor soul that has endoured so much in her life.

Philia said...
Simple and short but with essence. Nice!

writingriver05 said...
Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:17 pm:
All i can say is WOW! this poem is beautiful. Especially since i can relate to what you went through. keep up the good work! 

pensive said...
Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:15 pm:
I LOVE the imagery in this poem, especially the last line! Congrats on getting published in the magazine :)

OurVoices said...
Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:16 am:
THis is great! i feel like i can relate to you! and congrats on being published in the magazine! thats awsome! :)

luvmeformeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:20 am:
i like it.. it sounds like you put alot of emotion into it and i can relate, so great job

HayleyAlexandra said...
Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:44 pm:
Since I've discovered it, I think I've read this poem more times than I could count. It's so beautifully written. Amazing job :)

LaurenBeard This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:25 pm :
Thank you so much! That really means a lot to me. This poem and the various emotions within describe how I've felt a lot of times, and I'm so glad you can relate. I appreciate your feedback :)

WriterHeadThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
one word...BRAAAAVOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:25 pm :
Thank you very much! :)

amaria0109 said...
Hi! I like this piece a lot, but I can't help but wonder if I know you. I used to live in Leesburg a while ago, a few years, and I'm just stuck wondering. :) Are you in middle school or high school?

LongLazyDays55 said...
I love this poem! Anybody can relate to it and i like the use of imagery. :)

pensive said...
Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:26 pm:
The author's feelings are just as real as anyone else's. There is no competition to see who has the worst life. If you can't convey your emotions in a relatable way, no one cares how much you've been through.

WonderWisherThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I agree. There may be other feelings too, but that doesn't make the authors any less real. Nor does it make the other emotions that you spoke of any less real either.

ramfthomas4This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
dear adinohman, as someone who regularly uses this site to help build my writing experience, i think i speak for everone when i say that constructive criticism is the only sort of criticism we should have here. after your very childish comment i was surprised to find that you yourself are a poet.  it was my impression that one poet could see the time, care, and thought put into a poem.   the author obviously thought out the poem, using very clever language.  they might, perh... (more »)