There's a Mirror in the Room | Teen Ink

There's a Mirror in the Room

By noboundaries77 GOLD, Cedar Grove, New Jersey
noboundaries77 GOLD, Cedar Grove, New Jersey

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”

-
Jeremiah 29:11-14

There’s a mirror in the room
It masks your figure behind it
Tall and heavy, like an unmovable boulder.

The mirror turns its face towards me
I stare at my reflection
and I am reminded of everything
that happened between us,
the bittersweet memories
that I want to stuff in a shelf in the corner of my mind
Nowhere to escape, nowhere to hide
from the reflection that looks me in the eye

For every time I look at you,
I look at myself.

This was inspired by a poem I read in class one day titled, "There's an Elephant in the Room." I guess you could say this is my own version of that awkward, huge elephant in the room that you want to ignore but just can't.