Imagination

As we grew up magic engulfed us
In its majesty and wonder
Unicorns, Dragons, and talking animals
All greeted us a its gates

This land, this kingdom
Is not very far
It lies beyond the gray brick wall
The bridge from reality to creativity

It is a place to let go
To let your mind fly freely in the wind
To let your mind dive deep beneath the blue waves
And to discover the unknown beyond reality

But beware of the monsters
That live in the world of reality
The ones who lurk in the dark alleys
The ones that snatch the mind of children

These creatures are named Adults
They are the result of living in reality too long
They have lost a crucial ability
The ability to create and imagine

But these creatures don’t scare the kids
Because their desire is stronger
Their desire to live in a world
Of imagination and creativity
While rejoicing in its unlimited glory

Taconut7This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 24 at 4:06 pm:
Update: This piece, along with two other pieces I have written are being published in my college's "Spring Thaw" book! This book is writings from students and people in the community and only a certain amount get picked to be published!

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 5, 2012 at 10:37 am:
I loved it I wish I could stay a kid forever!!!  I  agree with wveryone else who has commented! Great imagenry!!!

eternal_sunshine said...
This is beautiful! I really loved it and related to it. I especially love the line, "The bridge from reality to creativity." Your poem was very original and well written!

CarrieAnn13 said...
Beautiful!  I love the wonderfully descriptive words you chose to make the imagery of this poem all the more vivid.  And adults as monsters, the destroyers of imagination is brilliant.  Honestly, I see nothing wrong with this.

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:12 am:
This poem had a nostalgic sense to it. I liked how you characterized the monsters after adults---that thought never occurred to me...those that live in the realm of reality. 

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I think it's interesting how you made adults seem like monsters. I also like how you used words that are simple like "kids" and "long" to contrast the bigger words like "rejoicing" and "engulfed". It makes the poem seem balanced between childhood and adulthood that way.

HoldingFast This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Okay thank you so much for writing this cuz now i know a complete thought process for my current art project. i love it. im pretty positive that your not the only one that feels the pain of losing carefree days. defiantly have to deal with that. its very well written and makes me think of the ice cream truck and my elemntry school (: very good job

gb12197This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
this is so esy to relate to, everybody goes through it. i love reading your prospective of growing up. great job :)