Imagination | Teen Ink

Imagination

By Taconut7 GOLD, Cohasset, Minnesota
Taconut7 GOLD, Cohasset, Minnesota

Life's challenges are not to bring you down, they are to help you become a stronger and better person! -Me

"If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will forever live its life believing it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

As we grew up magic engulfed us
In its majesty and wonder
Unicorns, Dragons, and talking animals
All greeted us a its gates

This land, this kingdom
Is not very far
It lies beyond the gray brick wall
The bridge from reality to creativity

It is a place to let go
To let your mind fly freely in the wind
To let your mind dive deep beneath the blue waves
And to discover the unknown beyond reality

But beware of the monsters
That live in the world of reality
The ones who lurk in the dark alleys
The ones that snatch the mind of children

These creatures are named Adults
They are the result of living in reality too long
They have lost a crucial ability
The ability to create and imagine

But these creatures don’t scare the kids
Because their desire is stronger
Their desire to live in a world
Of imagination and creativity
While rejoicing in its unlimited glory

I was inspired to write this piece because since I am getting older, I sometimes miss the simple days of being a child. One thing as you grow older that starts to vanish (although is still there) is imagination, so I wrote a poem describing exactly that.

Taconut7 GOLD said...
on Apr. 24 2014 at 4:06 pm
Taconut7 GOLD, Cohasset, Minnesota

Update: This piece, along with two other pieces I have written are being published in my college's "Spring Thaw" book! This book is writings from students and people in the community and only a certain amount get picked to be published!

on May. 5 2012 at 10:37 am
JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

I loved it I wish I could stay a kid forever!!!  I  agree with wveryone else who has commented! Great imagenry!!!

on Apr. 20 2012 at 9:35 pm
eternal_sunshine SILVER, Minnetonka, Minnesota

Laugh, and the world laughs with you;
Weep, and you weep alone.
For the sad old earth must borrow it's mirth,
But has trouble enough of its own.

This is beautiful! I really loved it and related to it. I especially love the line, "The bridge from reality to creativity." Your poem was very original and well written!

on Apr. 20 2012 at 8:58 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Beautiful!  I love the wonderfully descriptive words you chose to make the imagery of this poem all the more vivid.  And adults as monsters, the destroyers of imagination is brilliant.  Honestly, I see nothing wrong with this.

on Apr. 18 2012 at 11:12 am
beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

This poem had a nostalgic sense to it. I liked how you characterized the monsters after adults---that thought never occurred to me...those that live in the realm of reality. 

on Apr. 16 2012 at 5:05 pm
SpringRayyn PLATINUM, Lakeville, Minnesota

"Don't punish yourself," she heard her say again, but there would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness too. That was writing."
--Markus Zusak, "The Book Thief"

I think it's interesting how you made adults seem like monsters. I also like how you used words that are simple like "kids" and "long" to contrast the bigger words like "rejoicing" and "engulfed". It makes the poem seem balanced between childhood and adulthood that way.

on Apr. 16 2012 at 5:05 pm

--Markus Zusak, "The Book Thief"

on Apr. 16 2012 at 4:01 pm
HoldingFast GOLD, Plano, Texas

"If I wasn't meant to fly, I wouldn't have these wings"

Okay thank you so much for writing this cuz now i know a complete thought process for my current art project. i love it. im pretty positive that your not the only one that feels the pain of losing carefree days. defiantly have to deal with that. its very well written and makes me think of the ice cream truck and my elemntry school (: very good job

on Apr. 15 2012 at 2:08 pm
gb12197 PLATINUM, Bridgeport, Pennsylvania

"next time you feel like a failure, think about how you are alive, and you have the opportunity to be successful."

"i don't have an attitude, i have a personality you can't handle"

"i am weird"

this is so esy to relate to, everybody goes through it. i love reading your prospective of growing up. great job :)