Beautiful

Beautiful girls have bodies like
bleached bones drying in the desert
picked clean by vultures
Their bones are fragile like birds
Their skeletal smiles are alone like glass
The flicker of the television screen
filled with promises and empty light
Is the drip drip drip of their IV fluids

Will I sit by my own bedside
holding my hand, watching myself decompose?

I will never be beautiful.

Dylan.Burkhart said...
Loved how descriptive it was. Very happy I read it.

Josika.Nav said...
Apr. 11, 2012 at 1:39 am
hey! this sort of sad but very true. but i got lost somewhere in the middle and i had to read it again just to understand the meaning. on the whole great work and keep writing! XD

dark_armor1 said...
very strong poem. u can tell it was written from a very different perspective. becareful with that. sometimes u dont want to go TOO deep because then people might not exacally understand or follow. overall good job!

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is a really great poem, and it hit home for me very much. So beautiful, and wonderful imagery. I like the way you used onomatopoeia in this poem. It inhances this work so much. 

Behind_a_Plastic_Smile said...
wow with is amazing the twisted veiw of todays image of beauty i loved it! 5/5

Allicat001 said...
Somewhat of a depressing poem, but an amazing one at that.  Good job!

LadyJaneGrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That made me want to cry. Great job! 

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:49 am
I like the metaphors in the poem-- especially the first few lines. The poem was very visual, and rejects society's representation of beauty. Great poem 5/5!

wordbeater replied...
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the feedback!

Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:49 am