Understanding the Truth | Teen Ink

Understanding the Truth

By Spider101 SILVER, Octavia, Nebraska
Spider101 SILVER, Octavia, Nebraska

"Monsters are real and ghosts are real too they live inside us and sometimes they win"

~Stephen King~

How do you tell a little girl the truth?
How do you tell a little girl the truth when it hurts you to even think it?
How do you tell a little girl the cold hard truth and know all that will follow?
How do you tell a little girl the truth when there is the possibility that she will not understand?
How do you tell a little girl the truth when she is so young and so innocent and not tainted by the world’s cruel ways?
How do you tell a little girl the truth when you know that there is the possibility of her asking questions that you will not be able to answer?
How do you tell that little girl that her best friend is dead?
How do you tell her that she died because her parents abused her?
How do you tell her this and know that she won’t understand?
How do you tell her this and know that it might hurt her more than anything else?
How do you tell her this knowing that this little girl before you is a bright shining thriving girl and know that she might not be that after the truth is told?
How do you tell her the truth and know that she might breakdown when reality hits her?
How can you protect her from the cruel hard ways of the world but yet tell her this?
How do you break that vow you made to yourself when she was born that you were going to protect her from all that you can?
“Hey, Mommy why is everyone so sad?” My sweet little girl asks me.
“Because your friend went to Heaven and is not coming back.” I reply.
“Mommy, where is Heaven? I want to go see her and tell her to come back so we can play dolls.” My innocent little girl replies to the truth.
“Heaven is far, far away.” I tell her looking up at the sky praying to God that he helps my little through her first rough spot in life. “Far, Far away.” I whisper to myself.

My inspiration was something very simple. A song. I just wanted to do something and here it is.