The Girl Next Door | Teen Ink

The Girl Next Door

By AllisonNicole SILVER, South PLainfield, New Jersey
AllisonNicole SILVER, South PLainfield, New Jersey

When you were five, there was a girl next door./ She was your best friend, but you thought nothing more./ You had your play dates and you had your fun,/ But at the end of the day, you thought of her none.// When you were thirteen, there was a girl next door./ You thought she was cute, but you thought nothing more./ You spent time together and you talked quite a bit,/ And at the end of the day, you wanted to pay her a visit.// When you were sixteen, there was a girl next door./ You thought about her and you thought nothing more./
She had everything you looked for in a gal./ Aren't you lucky, you're dating your best pal!// When you were nineteen there was a girl next door./ She broke your heart and you felt nothing more./ She had her reasons and her reasons were good,/ But you wouldn't forget, you never could.// Now you're twenty-five and there's no girl next door./ She's just a memory and she is nothing more./ It's like when you were kids and she was just kind of there,/ Except now there's no trace of her anywhere.//