A Subject I Know Well: An Apostrophe to Death

I am engulfed by night,
inscrutable and infinite,
perpetual blackness.
There was nothing of me
after your visit. You took me
and led me to oblivion, alone to fade,
wither into a hollow shell,
break and disintegrate into dust
swept away by the wind.

And now that I am blacker than this blackness,
caged under your sunless roof, and
left with the unbearable stench of decay,
I wonder how you snare your victims,
how cunning your devices must be
to have imprisoned me in my own self.
(Clever, clever)

But I am not fading anymore.
My fingernails are crusted with dirt, your darkest stuff, and
Around me lay the ruins of what once was,
rotting carcasses strewn everywhere
being swallowed by the dust
gnawing at the remains.

I can see this now as a luminous source
pierces through your dark -
(evidently you missed a spot - a fatal error).
I could bathe in this moonlight, anoint myself in your dust.
No, I will not decay.

No fading, All raging,
-Death, you have failed.

Josika.Nav said...
Jun. 7, 2012 at 12:19 pm:
hey! loved it! your words and language was absolutely amazing. i was drawn in from the second i started reading. it had this nice but inconsistent flow. i'm going add this to my favourites. great work and keep writing :D

AlaskaFrostThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 1, 2012 at 7:18 pm :
thank you so much! out of curiosity, in what way/where is it inconsistent? i just want to know so i can maybe fix it and also use that for future poems!

dark_armor1This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 28, 2012 at 11:08 pm:
marvelous! i loved it ! it was sooo deep its like i can feel ur emotions through the words. very good i loved it :)

Sept. 1, 2012 at 7:17 pm :
thanks so much!

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I really like the way you used parenthesis in this poem, I've never read something like that here. So unique! It makes me want to try and write one with parenthesis. It's the type of poem that makes me have to turn of all the music around me to read, and I like that a lot. Really intelectual (sp?) and I really like it!

May 28, 2012 at 4:44 pm :
wow thank you!!

KiyokoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is very nicely written! I like the idea of the "death of self" versus the typical physical death. Death of self is equally terrifying, just not as frequently recognized. The lines that are in parenthesis are very nice additions to the poem - they add a touch of the conversational, personal feel without going overboard. Wonderful work. 

May 28, 2012 at 4:45 pm :
thank you sooooooooooo much!!!

eternal_sunshine said...
Wow! How unique and so well written. It felt very personal, and your word choice made it very real. I had to read it a few times, but I think your message was powerful. It flows and reads very well. Nice job! :)

Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:56 pm :
wow thank you!! :)

maizyiscrazy said...
Mar. 26, 2012 at 9:39 am:
Woow!! I love this! It's REALLY good!

Apr. 9, 2012 at 4:14 pm :
thank you!! :)

Mar. 21, 2012 at 11:34 pm:
i must admit this was indeed excellent ! very well written and constructed. good job :)

Apr. 9, 2012 at 4:36 pm :
thank you!

Behind_a_Plastic_Smile said...
Mar. 18, 2012 at 11:16 pm:
Wow-jus wow! That was jus stunning! Esspecially those last two lines. 5/5

Apr. 9, 2012 at 4:40 pm :
thank you!

The_Girl_On_FireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm:
this is a great poem! not really my style (I write happy, cheesy poemses) :) but really good anyway- five stars!

Apr. 9, 2012 at 4:41 pm :
haha thanks!!

dreamshakerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:21 pm:
Wow.
This is simply stunning. I can't believe this isn't in the magazine - this is absolute perfection.

I don't havnay advice - there's not a thing I would change

Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:23 pm :
Wow thank you so much!! That's a HUGE compliment!